Wall Mounted Bathroom Basin Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install some wall mounted basin taps in my bathroom but I am worried that this cannot be done if the wall in question is an external brick wall. Is this the case or am I being overly concerned?

Many thanks for any of your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Can be done ensure you insulate the pipes well.
You will have to attach female to elbow bends onto the tails and run the pipes up or down the wall.
Pete

Thanks for that Pete. Just to be clear I channel out the brick from the inside of the bathroom but I should make sure that the pipes are well insulated?

You have to compromise on insulation. If you put the full 25mm thick insulation on the overall diameter of a 15mm pipe would be 65mm, so you would have to chisel out a depth of at least 70mm! This might be excessive, depending on your wall construction. A single brick is about that wide, so you could be breaking into the wall cavity!

There is a recommendation for the maximum depth you should chisel out, which I think is about a third of the wall depth (not including any cavity and second skin). Does anyone know the correct guidance?

Sponsored Links
That sounds logical Chris but was never told about it in college so am not sure.
The average block is 100mm so that means just 33mm.
Do you have any tiles to make up the distance on the wall?
As you know we core drill a whole segment out for soil and flues so I would think you could go deeper.

If you were togo deeper I would advice cutting out the channell rather that impact blows from a hammer to preserve the integrity of the blockwork surrounding.
Pete
just had a thought if you use plastic pipe and run down you can come out of the wall at an angle behind the basin/vanity unit, the less block you have to cut out the better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back