Wall mounted convection heater and MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am decorating and updating a loft room for my three year old son.

At the moment, the only heat source is a convection heater with a timer and a variable heat setting. It is a Glen 2172 which I believe is a 2Kw heater.

The previous fittings were into the plaster board and had been badly fitted and were half out. In order to make it more secure I screwed a bit of MDF to the wooden frame behind the plaster board and the wall brackets to that. Hey hold the heater about 15mm away from the wall / MDF.

The heater heats the room very quickly and has only ever been set to around level 2 and on for an hour or so in the morning. I dont see it ever being put on full whack or on for a prolonged period of time. (It is now quite well insulated up there :) )

Before I finish the room up and put my son in there, I just wanted to clarify a couple of points:

1. I understand MDF to be non combustable. Are there any issues with mounting the heater on the wall to MDF in this manner?

2. I obvioulsy don't want my sone to touch the heater or be able to play with the controls and dont really like the mesh 'covers' you can buy so would I be ok getting a big MDF radiator cover to ensure a good distance all round the heater? If so, what would you suggest the minimum air space should be?

I cant find the instructions on line but similar heaters talk about clearance of a few inches up to a meter!

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
No.1 is ok.

No.2 Radiator covers are for radiators. Convector heaters are not radiators.

I would think this heater is fundamentally unsuitable for a child's room.
Especially as, according to the web, it is obsolete and therefore must be quite old.

I suggest you consider an oil-filled radiator which you could enclose in a radiator cover.

Have a look at electric radiators. These are available with low surface temperature covers which allow loads of heat out without actually getting hot enough to burn a child.

I've used them and they are really good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back