Wall mounted desk, material suggestions.

No, just using thin sheet for template for one piece MDF worktop

Ah I get you.
Had a carpenter come over yesterday and quoted me £240 for making the desk. Using 18mm melamine covered mdf. Not sure if thats a decent price, but might just spend a day doing it myself.
He did say that I should use metal brackets rather than wooden battens for support because the battens can split over time and arnt as strong. Is that the case? Sounded a bit strange to me, have used wood battens before without issue.

Sponsored Links
No, just using thin sheet for template for one piece MDF worktop

Ah I get you.
Had a carpenter come over yesterday and quoted me £240 for making the desk. Using 18mm melamine covered mdf. Not sure if thats a decent price, but might just spend a day doing it myself.
He did say that I should use metal brackets rather than wooden battens for support because the battens can split over time and arnt as strong. Is that the case? Sounded a bit strange to me, have used wood battens before without issue.

he isn't an experienced carpenter with a comment like that
or he has a method he prefers but doesnt want a discussion

I'd better get some metal brackets for this desk I'm sat at then!

It's similar to your's but a bit longer. Wooden battens on the wall, and angled wooden supports where needed. The top is 18mm melamine faced board. Been there for about 10 years now.

Sponsored Links
Think I`m going to go with the mdf route and a set of drawers about mid-way below the desk for extra support. My only concern is unless
I can get some mdf that is 2.8m long and cut it out of a single sheet i`m going to have to join two sections together. Any ideas on the best way to do this.

Thanks alot

I would use a couple of door blanks, or kitchen worktops. I would use some worktop connectors fix the joint and also glue and screw a 12mm mdf pad to the underside of the joint to brace the joint and also prevent the joint from sagging, this pad will need to be approx 300mm wide (150mm each side of the joint).

The timber wall fixing rails are fine and work well.
Most of the weight of the printers etc. will be transferred to the wall as they will be located towards the back edge of the worktop.

Think I`m going to go with the mdf route and a set of drawers about mid-way below the desk for extra support. My only concern is unless
I can get some mdf that is 2.8m long and cut it out of a single sheet i`m going to have to join two sections together. Any ideas on the best way to do this.

Thanks alot

MDF is available in a sheet size 3050 x 1525, buy from a local joinery company, they may cut the shape cheap for you as well.

Thanks, think i`ve sourced some local mdf thats 3m long and they`ll cut it for me aswell. :p

Also, just remembered I have a wall hung cabinet holding 1500 records, and supported by a wooden batten. Its been up there for 30 years, so just goes to show.

Wickes sell 18mm thick hardwood ply in 2440x1220 for £35, can cut to whatever size you need and then paint/stain it your desired colour. Then Ikea sell desk legs for £2.50 a pop

Thanks but that wickes board isnt long enough anyway, I need 2.55m to make one piece desk. I`ve found someone who can supply, going to give them a cardboard template around the corner so they can cut it to shape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back