wall plate restraitn straps an alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the usual method for wall plate lateral restraint is using the 30 x 5mm galvanised restraint straps which are normally hidden behind the plasterboard lining! However if you wanted to leave exposed facework which in my situation is natural uncoursed stone, how would the wall plate be restrained against wind uplift. Any ideas would be great?

Sponsored Links
i think you mean holding down straps.

lateral restraint is usually horizontal.

anyway, they can be built into the wall at a couple of courses (block courses) down from the top. you would bed them in upside down letting the shorter bent section sit in the mortar joint.

as long as the strap is protruding past the top of intended finished wall plate level you will be ok.

you can then fix through into the back of the plate via the holes in the strap.

or, you could leave the uppermost courses of external masonry down, fit the plate as normal then strap it from the reverse or internal face of the inner leaf of masonry.

sorry yes holding down straps.

that idea sounds good, but i dont have a cavity its a solid stone wall, but it should work that way as you say, if i leave the inner face down. the overall thickness of the wall is approx 625mm

Sponsored Links
ha ha its in the midle of northumberland its an existing building, i'm actually doing the working drawings for it and it s not mine, but i was stumped on the holding down. Another idea was make a feature of the straps and have them decorative using something like a 75mm x 6mm powder coated angles or something.

cheers for your info :D

Tb-Surveyor
Hi- I think if you can not hide something it is better to make it a feature,and you have to tie the roof structure to the walls somehow.Something that naturally contrasts stonework is timber beams,or I may use for example the cut off from the timber.(I have used on occasion for various jobs the exterior cut off from a tree,ie the timber with the bark showing/from timber mills).Ie if the straps come down the walls they may be covered by something which is meant to be and looks as it is part of the structure.This could be 50mm thick planking ,with oak pegs.It would be made to look as if the timber beam carried through the stonework.(The fact it does not ,does not make any difference as it is entirely cosmetic.[point down the sides of the beams in mortar.My advise is with a bit of imagination you can make this a feature which will add to and contrast with the stonework.Maybe a beam accross for carrying ornaments and uprights to the ceiling,stained in mahogany and varnished-there's many options.Green Westmorland slate also contrasts well.I am going on a bit but had a friend who had a bar in a cellar-it was a street scene,little timber bay windows coming out of the stone with lights behind curtains.It looked like a old worldy street,with oak beams coming out of the walls to allow for drinks or elbows-what you do depends on what you want.Imagination and skill can get over this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back