cutting wall plate restraint straps.... big no-no or ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut a 6" hole through a cavity outside wall and I've hit a restraint strap. After a little research I've found that these are typically spaced 2 metres apart so I've been very unfortunate.

I'm considering cutting through it but can't find any discussion online. Is it out of the question or should be ok? If the spacing is 2 metres then cutting through would mean a 4 metre gap without lateral wall-roof anchor. However I should mention that I'm drilling under a mezzanine so there would still be plenty of lateral support of the wall plate. Height-wise I'm cutting only a few inches under the wall plate so if cut the restraint strap would be useless.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Ok, after thinking some more I think I'll move over to avoid the strap. It'll probably be as much work to cut the strap as to re-position 4", and after measuring up again I've decided re-positioning will probably be beneficial ergonomically.

I'd still be interesting to hear an answer re. cutting restraint straps

The vast majority of houses were built without restraint straps, and most seem to stand up!

No. They are fixed and built-in for a purpose.

You could fix a large "T" plate construction connector at one side of the strap in question, and then cut the strap.

The T plate can be screwed into the edge of the wall plate but it would obviously involve disruption to the finishings. Attempting to screw a fixing down into the top face of the wall plate would be awkward to impossible.

I have seen straps cut and even left out but ...

Sponsored Links
No. They are fixed and built-in for a purpose.

Agreed, but the advice in AD A about having them every 2m etc will have a factor of safety built into it, to allow for builders missing some out or mis-placing them.

It also depends on where the strap is located (ceiling, floor, roof?) and the proximity of other straps.

In the big scheme of things, it's unlikely a house will come to harm with one strap being removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back