Wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need some advice pleas, I've been a browser on here for ages but need to ask my own question now.

I'm removing a chimney stack in an upstairs bedroom, so I'm installing an rsj and some trimmer beams to support the stack. Doing my planning I thought the wall plate was on the outer skin of our cavity wall but it's not it's about 30mm back from the inner face of the inner skin.

My question is, can i cut a small section out of the wall plate to site my rsj?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Sponsored Links
Why have you opened up the wall in the bedroom when, presumably, you intend to run the lintel in the loft?
Is that the chimney breast immediately to the right hand?
Best practice for lintels of any kind is to offer a 150mm bearing.
What exactly do you call "a small section"? Cut from where?

Have you considered gallows brackets?

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The section I've opened is to fit a padstone as stated by my SE. The steel will be running behind me out of the hole in the picture if that makes sense. I think I can get the padstone in with the plate sat on the top of the stone and just cut a 10mm section out of the timber plate for the upright of the rsj.

Does that make sense?

Effectively the plate would run both sides of the steel up to the centre.

Sponsored Links
Wanted to use gallows brackets but our building control officer wouldn't guarantee that he would accept it.

I dont understand.
Can you annotate some photos or post a sketch of whats proposed?
"BCO wouldn't guarantee that he would accept it" - I dont understand this either?
Have you submitted a plan and calcs to BCO, and has he visited the site?

I still dont know where the chimney breast is located?

When i first spoke to building control, i explained that I would like to support the stack with gallows brackets and he told me it's not a method that they like and he couldn't fit me in a site visit in the timescale I needed, so I was pushed to fitting an rsj. Not the end of the world really.

I have now submitted a plan and calculations but when i was looking at the layout from the loft I thought i could see the plate sat on the outer skin. My error.

I'll attach another photo making it clearer what I'm asking.

20160603_180634.jpg
20160603_180647.jpg

So the steel going in is wider as it's 152 x 152 but you get the idea.

I want to cut out the hatched section on the timber plate to feed the steel toward the outer wall.

I now understand what it is you are trying to do but unless i know the location of the chimney breast I cant advise you very clearly.
Can you post the plan that was submitted to BCO?
Did the SE visit the site?
Note: that at the moment you have a bearing of approx. 40mm - that wont work in my book.

I know, that's why im asking can i cut the plate? Then the steel will go back the further to match with the plan.

You obviously dont know:
Above you claimed a 30mm bearing on brick, and a proposed 10mm notch out of the wall plate (40mm) - nothing was indicated about notching deeper than 10mm.
I haven't viewed your plan so how can I comment on it?

Sorry it's hard to explain not being a professional builder.

What i mean is cut right through the plate removing a 10mm section? So the rsj can go further into the wall to achieve the correct bearing?

You just cut out the wallplate as necessary. No problem. The corner of the beam may need to be cut off to match the roof line..

Thanks for that.

Wasn't sure if that was acceptable.

Does cutting the top corner of the beam not weaken it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back