Wall Prepariation for Painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am currently redecorating the bathroom in a very old farm cottage. The internal stud walls are relatively ok and I have filled the holes and sanded back (to original plaster in some cases where the walls were quite uneven and lumpy). I assume that it is ok to paint straight over the paint (and exposed plaster) on those walls? Now for the external, not so good walls. The original paint was peeling and coming off and there was some mould patches in the corner by the bath on the walls and ceiling. I have used sugar soap over the mouldy areas, stripped the pain where I could and filled the holes and rubbed down the best I could. I have put some mould resistant paint over the mould affected areas. The rest of the wall the paint has come straight off and exposed what appears to be concrete walls (or extremely rough plaster). Its an old farm building and I'm guessing the walls are very old. I want a nice smooth finish after painting (grey colour if that makes any difference), so what is best way to achieve this baring in mind that most of the wall is this concrete/rough plaster (where paint came off easy) and some of the wall is still covered in existing paint (where it is stuck on solid - mainly at top of wall) and also has patches in corners where I have painted mould resistant paint on?

I may add that it is a rented property and I am on a very limited budget so re-plastering/skimming is out of the question. I am ok with some hard graft and elbow grease so please can you guys (and girls) help with best solution to achieve nice smooth walls throughout? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back