Wall repair - plaster blown?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - any help with the following would be much appreciated.

I live in a 19th century Victorian Terrace and the wall in the hallway has several holes which came off when wallpaper was removed. I was thinking of filling the holes in and then skimming over the top (I'm an amateur but can just about manage this), however the area near to the door frame (on the left of the pics) gives slightly when you apply pressure to it.

See attached photos - I assume that I could hack this off back to the brick but that might end up meaning most of the wall comes off and it would turn into a much bigger job which is beyond me. I also wouldn't know whether this should be done using lime plaster or gypsum.

What would any of you recommend here?

Cheers

Attachments

• Photo 23-07-2017, 11 22 59.jpg
    Photo 23-07-2017, 11 22 59.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Photo 23-07-2017, 11 23 07.jpg
    Photo 23-07-2017, 11 23 07.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Photo 23-07-2017, 11 23 20.jpg
    Photo 23-07-2017, 11 23 20.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
Get a bag of Easi-fill which will fill the deeper holes and can be sanded to blend in.
Gypsum plaster is not ideal for sanding.
Unless the plaster is coming off i would leave well alone or there will be no end to it.

Agree with above- although I would be tempted to use a filler for the deeper holes - if you could scrounge some bonding it sets quite quickly.

Buy a big filling knife that is bigger than the hole so you can scrape over the filler, using the wall as a guide

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back