Wall resteration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
at the moment I am in the process of making a usable space in the loft. Up until this weekend I was planning on putting a stud wall up over the end, but Mrs Wez has said she would like to make a feature of the brick work.

As you can see from the picture it is quite untidy at the moment, what would be the best way to make more presentable. I was planning to start with a wire brush?. The Motor is 100 years old so quite soft.

Also what could I use to seal the wall as I don't want brick dust on the future carpet?

One of the chimneys is in use.

Many thanks

Mark

Attachments

• loft 2.jpg
    loft 2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
You could tell Mrs Wez that the wall will be cold and needs insulating. I have brought an old lime pointed wall into a room (Like a Watneys Red barrel pub circa 1960?), I repointed in in new lime, this is quite hard and more importantly not dusty, The wall was then painted with patio sealer (two coats), it worked out quite well. As this was a building site at the time the whole wall was hosed own to get rid of the dust. This is where I feel you might fail as you will not be able to wash it down. You could go over it with a stiff brush and vacuum cleaner. You must be certain that the sealer on your brush will not drag lime out of the mortar and spread it over the bricks.
Frank

I did explain to her the insulating point, and we have compromised as both ends are like this to have one exposed and the other insulated. Maybe after a wire brushing a good floor brush and water should be next

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back