Wall socket moved, is it ok to plaster?

That'll make it safer than just filling the hole, but what is that tape, and what's under it?

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes if you use a 2g blank plate that would be better than plastering over the cables.

Regards,

DS

Would the double blanking plate make it safe by showing someone where the wires are?

Yes, that's exactly what it would do.

However, the box still wouldn't be earthed.
The blank plate looks a bit unsightly.
We don't know how good the joint is.
The cable between the two boxes is taped. If there's no outer sheath over these wires, that bit can't be plastered over either.

Keep finding problems.

The electrician you used was lazy, and it would have been just as easy to do it properly.

Looks like I need to get someone else to this job properly then. As all I would be able to do is put on the blank plate.

Sponsored Links
Looks like I need to get someone else to this job properly then. As all I would be able to do is put on the blank plate.

Even that could be difficult - if it's an old imperial box the screw holes threads would need re-tapping to get the new screws in!

I guess what I'm wondering is, is it a fire hazard etc if I put a blank plate on top and fill around the edges?

As I would rather not have to pay another spark to do the job again.

I guess what I'm wondering is, is it a fire hazard etc if I put a blank plate on top and fill around the edges?
However, the box still wouldn't be earthed.
The blank plate looks a bit unsightly.
We don't know how good the joint is.
The cable between the two boxes is taped. If there's no outer sheath over these wires, that bit can't be plastered over either.
And to my eyes there's no "if" about what's under the tape - doesn't look like a sheathed cable at all.

As I would rather not have to pay another spark to do the job again.
I suspect that if you'd paid an electrician in the first place you wouldn't have to pay again. Don't know who you got to do the job, but he was no electrician.

No, it is not ok to plaster. I can see the following thing wrong.

1) No grommet protecting cable coming into metal back box.

2) Cables joined together and wrapped together with what may or may not be insulation tape.

3) Plastering over metal back box would take socket out of the safe zone.

4) Metal back box not earthed.

5) Quality of wiring looks poor.

I would change the double metal back box for a single metal one (making sure to earth it and use grommets where cables run through) and then redo the cable joints in normal connector strips as well as run new T&E to the socket and back. I would then cover the single back box with a blanking plate.

I would change the double metal back box for a single metal one (making sure to earth it and use grommets where cables run through) and then redo the cable joints in normal connector strips as well as run new T&E to the socket and back. I would then cover the single back box with a blanking plate.
That word work, and would satisfy the regs. However, it would clearly be better to get the floorboards up, do it properly (extending the cables with MF JBs if really necessary) and get rid of (or plaster over) that (then 'empty') old box.

Kind Regards, John

Personally I'd rather see a screwed joint behind a blank plate than an MF joint shoved under a floor.

Even that could be difficult - if it's an old imperial box the screw holes threads would need re-tapping to get the new screws in!

1. 4BA screws are still available.

2. You can't re-tap a thread to a smaller size.

3. M3.5 screws will go into 4BA threads. A bit floppy but will hold a blanking plate securely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back