Wall sockets out but no MCB trippped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This morning my toast popped up prematurely.

It turned out that HALF MY WALL SOCKETS HAD CEASED TO FUNCTION but NO MCBS HAD TRIPPED.

I spent all day working out what my consumer unit controlled circuit by circuit fannying about isolating and checking and all that.

In summary I have 2 Hager B 32A MCBs for my Sockets as circuits 9 and 10. All my sockets are RCD controlled circuits according to my consumer unit.

When I isolate circuit 10 all the remaining sockets become isolated.

Isolating circuit 9 does nothing so I assume that the duff wall sockets are on circuit 9.

Have I changed anything recently?
Yesterday I took 2 wall lights off the wall in the bedroom (unscrewing the bracket screws into rawl plugs) and taped the wires up temporarily. These are on circuit 2 and are still live if you switch the light switch on!
Yesterday I also pulled a few picture hooks out of the wall.
Other than that nothing.

I popped the front cover of the CS off and couldn’t see anything. I even loosened the MCB on circuit 9 (after turning the power off) and moved it up the bus bar and then down again and tightened it. Didn’t make any difference. Wires in at the top seemed well mounted.

I opened a few wall sockets and checked the wires starting with the one the toaster was in but all seemed fine. I only did 5 sockets so there are another 12 to look at but I gave up.

Any thoughts apart from the obvious call a qualified sparky which I can sort tomorrow as I have extensions keeping the fridge going and stuff!

Dodgy MCB? Loose wire in a wall socket? Shall I get back on my hands and knees and check the other 12 sockets. I am running out of ideas.

Only other thing (red herring?) is that today the lights in the house have dipped 2 or 3 times or so as if a power cut is imminent. I asked friends on FB but no one else has the same issue at the moment.

House is about 20 years old.

Cheers

Macker

Sponsored Links
the socket circuit is most likely a ring. It probably has two faults on it. A ring circuit has two cables going into the same MCB, unless it was installed by an incompetent half-wit.

test every socket and draw a diagram showing which ones work and which don't. There is probably a faulty connection in the last socket that works, or the first one that doesn't. But you might have a damaged cable between those two.

Without wishing to cause panic, i would advise you to switch off the mcb for the sockets which are not working until you get an electrician.If lights are flickering and power is dipping this could indicate arching of a damaged cable or a loose connection. Try to keep the loading on your sockets as low as you can until it's checked by your electrican.

Kind regards,

DS

PS have you tested the RCD is working ?

Cheers guys

I think it best I switch my circuit 9 off for the night and get a sparky in.

Might look at one or two more sockets for the obvious first though.

The RCD works fine - I tested that a few times earlier.

Cheers

macker

Sponsored Links
I patiently waited for an electrician and tonight he popped round. He tested the MCB - nothing. Had one in the van, changed it and all working again.

Phew

Tenner but gave him £20

Happy days for everyone.

So... MCBs do fail!

Cheers all

macker

I patiently waited for an electrician and tonight he popped round. He tested the MCB - nothing.
There's not actually a lot one can do in terms of testing an MCB, other than confirming that manual on/off switching works OK and that there is a good path through it when 'on'. However, I'm glad to hear that you problem has seemingly been sorted out.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back