Wall spec please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aloha,

I'm building a 2 storey extension and I'm not certain on what concrete block I can use.
The external walls will be block cavity walls with a rendered finish. 100 mm cavity with 50mm insulation so fairly standard. Without over designing the walls what block would you advise I use for the external walls.
By all means if you have any general comments about the spec you are more than welcome to suggest an alternative.
Many thanks!

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/your-p...ification-advice-please.373547/#ixzz2c3DNBypE

Sponsored Links
Structurally any block will do but it must meet the requirements of the u-value. With 50mm Celotex you will struggle to meet 0.28 with dense external blocks. My advice would be use 100mm full fill cavity batts instead with dense external block and Celcon Standard internally. That should get you a point or two better than the minimum u-value.

Structurally any block will do but it must meet the requirements of the u-value. With 50mm Celotex you will struggle to meet 0.28 with dense external blocks. My advice would be use 100mm full fill cavity batts instead with dense external block and Celcon Standard internally. That should get you a point or two better than the minimum u-value.

Great, thanks for your input.
So a standard celcon block will take the joists of the 1st floor?

Yes. Celcon 'Standard' are 3.6N which is plenty.

Note; in this case the word Standard is actually the name of a Celcon block rather than being used to describe a standard block. If you get what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Celcon 'Standard' are 3.6N which is plenty.

Note; in this case the word Standard is actually the name of a Celcon block rather than being used to describe a standard block. If you get what I mean.

I'm with you.. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back