wall spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 wall spotlights in front room can anyone tell me why 3 of the 6 lights have blown each on 1 wall light I have checked wired all in place thanks

Sponsored Links
Your post is somewhat lacking in detail, but assuming you are speaking about fillament bulbs you can't really wire them up in a manner that could cause premature failure, you put live on one side of the fillament and neutral on the other and it lights up. Connect a live on both sides or a neutral on both sides and it won't light.

So the fact that they were lit is a good sign, so what could be the problem?

1. Poor quality bulbs
2. Bulbs to large for the fitting so that they overheat
3. Poor quality fitting causing bulbs to overheat
4. Loose connection, usally obvious, as bulbs will flash, or have a slight delay comming on accompanied by flashing and or crackling noise.

However your comments are not uncommon, I have come across a lot of fittings with multiple bulbs that don't last long. My guess is that they tend to be smaller (physically) for decorative effect so the heat doesn't dissipate as well and are positioned at angles rather than vertically putting a strain on the fillament and it all seems to have an effect.

Of course if you are using low energy lamps that's a different matter.

More detail / clarification might be helpful, particularly the type and size of lamp. (It's a bit like asking, my car keeps breaking down what's the problem, but not telling us the type of car) I'm not sure I even understand the configuration you describe above, but may be that's just me.

Not sure why you've posted this on "Electrics outside of the UK" forum either, I was fairly sure Berkshire was in the UK

If you are using normal filament lights then that can cause problems as they are designed to hung. When using them in wall lights, if they stand upright, the heat burns out the filament. This is why wall lights usually use candle style lamps as they have been purposely designed for that use. As said previously it could also be poor quality issue

Sponsored Links
Back