Wall staining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its obviously originates from around the cistern overflow when water level wasn't right some years back.

I've pressure washed but not much effect.

What chemical cleaners can I use to remove the staining?

full

Sponsored Links
It's tricky.

When it's warm and dry a stiff brush can remove some of it.

You can also "wash" it off by allowing it to run down the wall and away, but always some will reabsorb or you might make it worse due to the additional wetness.

Final try is a chemical cleaner, but often this may not work well, or stain the wall

Its a few years since the overflow was sorted out so sadly plenty time to have absorbed into the masonry.

I suppose a driveway cleaner type product may work although its disappointing the house builder's plumber didn't slant the pipe down away from the wall. I can warm the pipe with the heat gun and bend it slightly down.

Sponsored Links
a driveway cleaner is detergent for oil. your stain is limescale from hard water, so detergent will not touch it.

I had in mind that it will gradually weather away.

That wont wash off. The salts were (are) in the bricks and have been brought to the surface. It will have to weather for the next 80 years or so

That wont wash off. The salts were (are) in the bricks and have been brought to the surface. It will have to weather for the next 80 years or so

So the water that ran down the wall from the overflow has saturated the bricks and brought the salts to the surface?

That's the gist of it.

And when the wall gets wet, they soak back in again

So getting a bottle of vinegar, brushing it on the bricks, then scrubbing will not get the staining off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back