Wall thermostat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard wall thermostat - square with a round dial. If I make it look less obtrusive by embedding the depth into the wall, will it still work effectively?

Sponsored Links
Buy a better looking one! You can control some from a Smartphone App.
Heatmiser, Nest and Hive are some of the makers.

Or get a wireless stat - then you can position the sensor wherever suits you.

Sponsored Links
Or get a wireless stat - then you can position the sensor wherever suits you.
Tucked away out of sight in an airing cupboard, for example, or under the stairs? :LOL:

It still needs to be somewhere in free air which is heated by the CH.
What about fixing it to the end of the radiator? That seems to be the norm now.

This has come up many times. What is the electric thermostat for? Room temperature is controlled by the TRV and system is controlled by return water temperature which is in turn controlled by the TRV. With anti-cycle software the electric thermostat has very little use. To override a time clock as a frost stat and to monitor weather conditions to inhibit central heating running on what promises to be a nice day.

Be it an electric thermostat or a time clock turning off the central heating boiler means on switching back on it has to go through a whole sequence of events and one small setting error like a lock shield valve messes it all up.

Clearly there are some pre-condensate type boilers which still use electric wall thermostats and you could use a wall thermostat to control a TRV but just like the TRV you can compensate for external factors like being right next to the radiator.

I still use both. Upstairs uses TRV and downstairs a single thermostat timer combination if I ever move to modern boiler I will also have to re-pipe and fit a motorised valve powered by thermostat/timer as I live in an open plan house. I would also have to replace or modify my Myson.

There is no one size fits all but in general one wants to measure air temperature not wall temperature however if it works with a TRV then why not with an electric thermostat put it just above the skirting next to the radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back