Wall ties and re- pointing - holes in mortar - very worried

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I am in the process of renewing wall ties and re-pointing on my 1950's brick built semi as there is evidence of a lot of movement in the outer brickwork leaf.

I have chased out the mortar which was a mix of very hard, very thin cement on top with very soft almost pure sand underneath.

More worrying is the fact that that there is very little or no mortar behind the front face of the brick resulting in holes where I have chased the mortar out.

I have chased to a depth of approx 2cm but I am now reluctant to re-point as there would be little or nothing behind it.

I have renewed the wall ties with stainless helical screw ties and will be removing / isolating the old fish tail ties (very corroded.

I am now considering removing complete sections of the mortar bed - approx 1/ or 2 metre's at a time, pumping in quick drying cement and inserting horizontal steel ties in the mortar bed to strengthen the horizontal bed joints.

I do not know if this is standard practice and would welcome any input / advice on any of the above?

Thanks,Will.

Sponsored Links
Close-up and whole elevation Pics would help.

The "thin cement on top" was a previous re-pointing, possibly over a lime mortar.

Dont go pumping in anything until you know what you are dealing with.

Typically, pointing up with 6:1:1 sand, cement and lime mix might be good enough for your purpose - but first, the pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back