Wall Tie Failure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went outside today and notices some bees entering little holes in the mortar. And then my eyes caught something... I noticed 4 spots of orange in the mortar underneath were an existing air brick was. I scratch the mortar with a key and it brought up the orange more so.

Is this a sign of wall tie failure? There are a couple of spots above the ex air brick location too. I haven't managed to find any other location with this problem... Yet.

House is roughly 1950's or earlier, no cavity wall insulation. Some pictures attached.
. View media item 94019 View media item 94020

Sponsored Links
Hi, StEng24

I agree with last post, newboy has it nailed, the shape of the mortar on the upper brick is a part of a circular hole, with what appears to be 4 holes, lower left in the mortar?

As an aside, wall tie failure tends to result in horizontal cracking along the mortar bed Joints. Wall tie failure when seen on roughcast render are long cracks on the roughcast. 1950 property were certainly built with Galvanised Steel ties and by now a lot of them will have or are slowly failing.

The other Wall Tie give away is an outward bulge on the wall suffering the failure.

Ken

Now you've mentioned the circular hole I see it... sorry! my grandma still has a small heater with a little flue and cage cover.

That's cleared up but my main concern wasn't the brick itself But the 4 areas of rust in the mortar.. what is likely to be causing that?

Sponsored Links
Hi StEng24.

Is it a possibility that the rust was deposited in these places by the guard frame, the rusting appears to coincide with the fixing holes for the now removed frame?

What I am trying to say is that the mesh on the frame as well as the thicker wire around the perimeter of the guard frame could well have rusted over time and deposited the rusty marks into the mortar, there is a fair chance that the mesh guard would have been in place for a considerable time, exposed to all the elements, and condensing flue gas residue?

Ken

You guys have definitely put my mind at rest.

Totally makes sense!

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back