Wall Tiling, the top or bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've done tiling a few times before, but I've never really known the best method to do this in. I normally start from one corner side but always worked from bottom upwards. The last time i did this, I had to cut the tiles that were right at the top as i went to the ceiling, this didn't look too good.

Please advise me of where to start first, the top or the bottom or from the corner or middle.

Many thanks

SHAD

Sponsored Links
imo never start in corner, what if walls are out of true?

put batten near bottom edge, work upwards from this, then you can "fill in" all remaing "odd angles" as required, main tiled area looks marvelous

Tiling is all about balance, if you are going to the top of the wall you need to keep the tiles, which are against the ceiling, as big as possible.

I always put a level and a board on the ceiling to check for level, mark the highest end. From there now measure to the skirting or floor and mark the middle.

If you dont trust your measuring make a marking out stick. Take a piece of wood about 4 or 5 feet long and mark your tile sizes on it, allowing for grout lines.

Now put your stick on the centre Line and you will see how much tile will be seen near the ceiling. Move your stick half a tile either way to give as big as possible at the top. Also use the stick to mark your starting point on the floor. Then transfer your levels around the room with a long spirit level.

Most of us do as Breezer said with battens, however for small areas you can work downwards and use non-slip adhesive if it is easier.

I have made it sound long winded but it isn't in practice, there is loads of info if you do a search on this site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back