Wallpaper edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into our home a while back. Previous owners had quickly decorated it. Lovely wallpaper but rubbishly done. Will eventually replace it.

At the moment there's a little peeling at the edges of some strips. Between 1-3 long and about 5mm wide. I tried using solvite overlap and border adhesive but the edges would stick down for about five minutes and then lift. Very annoying.

Other than extreme options like superglue, what can I do?

Sponsored Links
Superglue wont work, try Painters mate mastic filler, roll flat , and carefully wipe away any residue with a damp cloth or sponge

Dampen back of peeling edge, wait five or more minutes then apply paste, wait a few minutes roll and it should stay down.

@Bosswhite mastic filler - guess that might work where the wallpaper meets the skirting board but would it still work where the vertical edge meets another strip of wallpaper?
@handyjack - thanks, I'll try again. Maybe there was something I was doing wrong.

Sponsored Links
@Bosswhite mastic filler - guess that might work where the wallpaper meets the skirting board but would it still work where the vertical edge meets another strip of wallpaper?
@handyjack - thanks, I'll try again. Maybe there was something I was doing wrong.

The mastic method (decorator's caulk) is one of the tricks of the trade. Keep the hole in the nozzle as small as possible, squirt a little bit in behind the seam and carefully roll/press flat. The excess will squeeze out of the joint and you must wipe it away immediately with a damp sponge or cloth - don't leave too much behind the paper or you'll end up with a just as unsightly bump. Don't use silicone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back