wallpaper hanging symbols

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone confirm that a symbol consisting of three vertical arrows, where the one in the middle points in the reverse direction to the other two, indicates that alternate lengths should be reversed.

I found an indication that two arrows pointing in opposite directions mean reverse alternate lengths, but the three arrow symbol is new to me.

I assume that having reversed the lengths it is then a free match.

Can someone explain the reason for reversing the lengths. :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Yep your right the symbols mean that there is no specific match to the edge of the paper but the first length would be roll to the floor and second to the ceiling and third to the floor. I would cut them on the board this way so they alternate

Forgot to mention, all wallpaper technically has a match as they are produced on a drum of different diameters. so even a paper that has no match will still have a repeat pattern. Because of this if some papers were hung the same way you would end up seeing a uniformaty in the pattern or shading, so to stop this they are alternately reverse hung.

Hello Robbie.

Thanks for your replies, and for confirming what I had suspected.
It is particularly good to get the gen from a professional.

Believe it or not, I have been hanging my own wallpaper for almost 50 years but had not come across this reversing the pieces before. This is probably because I have nearly always used paper with definite patterns, and consequently an obvious repeat and match. This paper is a bit porridgy and the repeat is just detectable, about every 3 feet.

As I am uncertain about how to respond to your reply, I hope you are able to view this.

Many thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
No probs mate, i have only been hanging paper for about 30 yrs, my dad was a decorator for 55 yrs and his dad for 50 yrs and his grandad for 64 yrs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back