Wallpaper or Plaster Skim a rough ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a rough ceiling to decorate in my kitchen and my first thought was to ask a plasterer to skim it.

However a friend suggested that I should have it papered with thick lining paper and then paint it. Which would look very good without much dust and mess.

Do you agree or have any thoughts on this problem?

Thanks
Robin

Sponsored Links
I can't see how rough it is

Post some pics please.

Lining paper will cover minor imperfections. Two layers of lining paper will cover slightly worse imperfections. Personally, I have never come across a ceiling that was so bad that it needed lining but didn't require sanding, filling and sanding prior to applying the lining paper.

We have no idea how bad your ceilings are. Nor do we know how good you are at papering ceilings. Lining ceilings isn't as bad as one might initially think, but one man can not do it properly with one stepladder. You need a suitable platform that spans the room. Alternatively, I guess you could learn how to use plasterers' stilts but you will need a helper to paste the paper and hand it to you

How old is the property? If it is a 120 year old lath and plaster ceiling it may be ready to fall down anyway. If it is a plasterer can overboard it before skimming.

As JohnD says, photos will help.

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely lining paper will cover a rough ceiling. You can buy 2000 grade from toolstation for about 6 quid a double roll and maybe paper it twice.
Most bits and nibs have to be sanded before lining paper so I'm thinking 'rough' might be too much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back