Wallpaper pasting / Adhesive tables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning members,I`m new here,just signed up.
For awhile now I`ve thought about making my own
pasting / adhesive wallpaper table that `doubles`up
as a general purpose work bench also.Has anyone else
done this?
The paste tables at decorators merchants and say B @ Q
these days are in my view poorly made and expensive.
Thanks in advance for replies,

Lewis Doubtfire

Sponsored Links
The basic hardboard type tables are a waste of money as they have a flimsy construction, won't stand up to more than a few uses without showing signs of wear and are nowhere near strong enough to use as a general purpose bench.

I use a pvc pasting table which is as strong (and clean) now as it was 12 years ago. I've used it for other tasks but it still only has a load limit of 25kg at it's mid point and so wouldn't stand up to heavy work.

If you want a cheap, general purpose bench, why not use a sheet of ply, cut to size and laminated on one side for easy pasting. You can use a couple of folding trestles to support it and it should then hold far more weight (providing the trestles are suitably distanced) and can also be stored almost as easily as a regular pasting table.

Thanks Misterhelpful,I`ve thought about that myself,
Might give it a go.Lidl were doing a plastic work /
Papering table a few weeks back,it looked good,but in
The end I didn`t bother. :confused: :cry:

Lewis Doubtfire

I bought a metal framed, laminated topped table from Screwfix once. Cost about £55.

Seldom use it though as it is wider than a roll of lining paper, which means you need to wipe it down after pasting each sheet.

If you do make your own, make one for wall paper width and then have an extra top for the wider lining paper.

Sponsored Links
I bought a metal framed, laminated topped table from Screwfix once. Cost about £55.

Seldom use it though as it is wider than a roll of lining paper, which means you need to wipe it down after pasting each sheet.

If you do make your own, make one for wall paper width and then have an extra top for the wider lining paper.

I know what you mean but I've always wiped the table after each sheet as that's the way I was taught. Even though pasting one edge of the paper and then sliding it over to the other side of the table to do the other edge minimises the mess, there's always a bit of paste that seems find it's way onto the surface. :mad:

I get annoyed when I go to start a job and then realise that the customer has bought 28" wide wallpaper and it overhangs the edge of the table, so having an extra wide top as well could come in handy! :evil:

At this rate, Lewis will need a second house to store everything!! ;) :LOL:

I suppose you could use two trestles and a length of cheap 30mm worktop as an all round, easy-clean alternative, although it might be a bit cumbersome!

Thanks for your input fella`s.I`ve thought about just
Getting 2 `bog standard`Black / Decker `WorkMates`
Stand side by side and put a Perspex / plastic sheet
The appropriate size `plonked`on top.It would certainly
Be stable.
I used to be a painter /decorator many moons ago and
Still have a paste table I got when I was about 20 I think.
It`s oaky,but not solid wood,the ones they made `yonks`ago
were single trestle,solid wood,hinged in the middle and
Folded together when not in use / and transit.

Lewis Doubtfire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back