wallpaper removal: bucket and sponge or steamer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello which of the two options is quicker to remove standard wallpaper from a wall?

bucket hot water or steamer?

Regards,

Sponsored Links
Score the paper first then use a steamer, dont leave the plate on too long it can blow the plaster .

Having persevered with a bucket and sponge for years, a £25 steamer from Screwfix and a scorer was a revelation.
I was a Pratt and used distilled water from Halfords to stop scaling then figured I was spending more on water than just buying a new steamer.

I had a different experience. I used a tiger paper scorer and sprayed zinsser dif via a garden sprayer. This was more effective than using an earlex steamer which i regret buying.

Sponsored Links
Whilst I would whole heartedly agree that steaming is the best option, with modern wallpapers you should be able to peel off the top layer leaving behind the backing paper . . . Which almost falls off under gravity when wetted.

I had a different experience. I used a tiger paper scorer and sprayed zinsser dif via a garden sprayer. This was more effective than using an earlex steamer which i regret buying.

Years ago, I stoopidly used Dif in my stoopidly expensive Earlex Steam Master.

It gummed up the inside of the machine.

Often, I just use a paper tiger and spray the wall with a water sprayer. If the paper is the type that peels off leaving the paper backing, I just use the sprayer.

The last time that I used the steamer was to remove masonry paint from smooth render...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back