wallpaper won't stick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kids did some felt tip pen handiwork on a wall I was about to paper. I didnt think this would be a problem and painted over the drawings with some Polycell Base Coat to block it out. I papered a few days later. Within 24hours the wall was a disaster. Huge gaps had opened at the edges and bubbles had formed in all the areas where the drawings had been blocked out. I have tried to stick the paper again and again (solvite) but it simply lifts up as soon as the paper dries.
The paper elsewhere on the same wall is sound. Its just where the pen and basecoat are.
Obviously I shall have to strip the wall and start again, but what can I do to the wall to prevent it happening again. Its like its not absorbing the paste where the base coat is.

Sponsored Links
never used basecoat :confused: but the standard dec. dodge is a cheap oil based undercoat , as a stainblock.

Thanks NigF. Do you think maybe the base coat is absorbing the paste. If I coat it with an oilbased paint this will seal it?

I guess it could be absorbing - undercoat certainly will seal it - as a precaution , as youre doing the whole wall again - size it with diluted paste all over ( after the undercoated patches have dried) mix is on the side of the box ;) And if you need any plastering done/horrible artex skimmed over - give us a message , details are in my profile .

Sponsored Links
I have by no means faced such quandary but in my opinion, eradicate base coat using sand paper and then make an effort to fuse wall paper. May be your dilemma get cracked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back