Wallpapering inner corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am about to wallpaper my living room (I’ve already wallpapered two bedrooms, a landing and down the stairs to a not flawless but not too bad either standard). The thing that I always find the most stressful though is wallpapering the inner corners.

I know that the correct way to do it is to overlap and double cut through the overlap to create a nice seamless join (hypothetically!) Whilst I find this works reasonably ok when doing outer corners (as they’re usually sharper corners due to the metal stuff plasterers use) I’m finding that the results with inner corners do not look half as good as the inner corners are not as sharp and defined and no matter how much you press the paper into the corner, as soon as it’s double-cut it tends to move away from the join, further into the corner (if you see what I mean?)

The paper I’ve got my eye on for the living room is this stuff: http://www.diy.com/departments/loretta-plain-cream-vinyl-wallpaper/192462_BQ.prd

Which is a thick textured vinyl. I’m guessing that since it’s so thick it might be more difficult to work with, especially in the corners, and there may be issues with the double cutting and matching up because of the texture?

Would I be better off getting a ‘flatter’ wallpaper given I’m going to do it myself. I’ve worked with slightly textured wallpaper in the past, but nothing this thick. Is there a knack to minimising places where the seems may not join perfectly? I’ve read about using filler, but I assume this is just for gaps in lining paper which is going to be painted over only?

I intend to line the walls beforehand with 1400 grade lining paper.

Sponsored Links
Two ways I would suggest if a finished paper (not to be painted) turn the corner a small amount to a plumb line then butt the new length up. If painting either over lap 1/2 inch with one edge cut into the corner, or just cut in and run a line of paintable mastic down the corner with the MK1 finger tool.

Thank you for your response, footprints.

Unfortunately it's not paintable paper, so the potential for margin of error is less but I've decided I'm going to get it anyway and just hope for the best - all the reviews say that it's an easy paper to work with despite its thickness so I'm hoping that the random textured vertical lines effect will at least minimise any mistakes that I'll inevitably make.

Good luck, and remember the slight defect that drives you mad because you are 18 inches away from it when papering will probably never be noticed by anyone else!

Sponsored Links
Good luck, and remember the slight defect that drives you mad because you are 18 inches away from it when papering will probably never be noticed by anyone else!

Ha ha - I know, your eyes are always drawn to the mistakes no-one else ever notices. Cheers.

I just had a quick look at the paper and I don't think you should have any major concerns. The paper has a free match so there is no pattern to try and join up, and it's not as thick as many vinyls either.
I think you will be able to do what footprints has already mentioned and run about ¼" around the corner and then overlap and trim the next piece tight into the corner - a pretty standard method of wallpapering corners. If you have any issues with the paper adhering at the overlap, you should brush a little vinyl to vinyl border/overlap adhesive under the seam, but remove any excess immediately with a damp sponge because it won't come off when it's dry.

Thank you for your response, misterhelpful. I've started wallpapering with the paper and so far it's behaved itself ok (though I've just done round one window so far as I'm desperate to get the radiator back on the wall). The only problem is that the seams really have a problem sticking fully from skirting to ceiling ... I'm noticing a lot of little gaps that I'm having to go over with a little extra dab of paste (even though I'm absolutely meticulous about covering the edges fully when pasting).

One problem I will be encountering is that I've worked out that once I've hung my next full drop this will leave me with a really narrow strip into the corner, so I'm worried that with it being so narrow and the paper pretty thick it won't adhere to the wall properly (since the surface area will be so small, coupled with the fact that it'll have that little bit overlap around the inner corner).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back