Wallpapering onto gaps in paint revealing old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, long story short.. I have just removed a single drop of wallpaper I hung with too much paste and in the process removed some of the paint underneath but only in patches.. Once I sand the edges can I hang wallpaper onto this surface? It's 90% painted surface with maybe 10% now bare old plaster. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes, but you will benefit by applying a thin coat of paste to the bare plaster and allowing to dry before re-hanging the paper. This will stop the plaster absorbing too much moisture from the paste on the wallpaper.
One issue you may have, if using a thin, light paper, could be that the bare spots will show through. If you think this may happen, it would be wise to apply a thin layer of fine surface filler to those areas beforehand. (This would be good practice anyway.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back