Wallpapering 'paper' wallpaper - soak times etc...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am papering a bedroom wall tomorrow and need some advice before I start.
The paper is from Beauchamp Wallpaper Printworks, and is paper, not vinyl.
There are no directions on the label, and need some advice on what paste to get and what the soak time would be (or how to figure out how long to soak for).
The paper feels reasonably thick, but I have nothing to compare it to so don't know if this is thicker or thinner than standard paper?

http://www.beauchampwallpaperprintworks.com/sp_chinoiserie_chinese_garden.htm

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've just read it is not advisable for a relatively inexperienced wallpaper hanger to hang 'paper' wallpaper as any paste on the face of of it will not come off like it would with vinyl?
Any advice to avoid this happening?
I would get someone in, but it's only one wall (9 sheets), and all estimates have been for a day rate.

As a general rule of thumb, I apply a "Size" coat to walls, a thinned version of paste First,
when dry, measure cut three lengths of wallpaper, paste all three, ( with regular paste mixed to instructions) hang first length,
Measure and cut another length, paste, this will be the fourth length,, then hang second length, So you have two lengths of wallpaper soaking whilst you are hanging one piece.
I find this system works for me. I tend to use two rolls at a time to cut down on wastage due to pattern match.
use a damp sponge, wipe gently on the paper that has been hung to remove paste residue.
Hanging wallpaper can be time consuming, thats why you have been quoted day rates.
Looking at the price per roll, a decorator is going to want enough to cover costs if there is a problem with the paper and needs a "Call Back"

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
Pasting one at time but going up alright.

so long as you have let them soak and become pliable.
Its when the paper dries out you will notice the bubbles which means the paper was not soaked enough

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back