Vinyl wallpaper..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l've just decorated my bedroom with vinyl wallpaper and left the drops to soak for the time it stated then hung the paper. Looks ok but the joining of paper shows slightly white and is noticeable as the paper is dark ..
How could this have happened and what can l do to hide these on the joins of paper, not all are like this but the ones that are is noticeable by the eye...

Sponsored Links
There really is no cure for what you have encountered, and at this time I would'nt really rule out a faulty batch.

Vinyls, Flocks, Handprints, and a number of others are often two papers of which are fused together. That is to say that the pattern side is fused to a backing paper, with these wallcoverings there is a tendancy for one to slide away from the other thus causing a loss of pattern match.

When hanging these types of wallcovering a simple test should be perfomed before the paperhanger starts.

Simply cut off approx 500mm of paper and paste and fold as you would for a full drop and note the measurement, check again at two minute intervals until the paper retains a constant measurement, that will then be the desired soaking time for that particuler wallcovering.

Dec.

There really is no cure for what you have encountered, and at this time I would'nt really rule out a faulty batch.

Vinyls, Flocks, Handprints, and a number of others are often two papers of which are fused together. That is to say that the pattern side is fused to a backing paper, with these wallcoverings there is a tendancy for one to slide away from the other thus causing a loss of pattern match.

When hanging these types of wallcovering a simple test should be perfomed before the paperhanger starts.

Simply cut off approx 500mm of paper and paste and fold as you would for a full drop and note the measurement, check again at two minute intervals until the paper retains a constant measurement, that will then be the desired soaking time for that particuler wallcovering.

Dec.
Thanks for that info Dec, l will remember that test for next time. You say......

"Simply cut off approx 500mm of paper and paste and fold as you would for a full drop and note the measurement, check again at two minute intervals until the paper retains a constant measurement, that will then be the desired soaking time for that particuler wallcovering"

So how do l take the measurements of the soaked paper, do l unfold and measure or folded..
Also these white backings showing slightly on the joins, l was thinking of using a felt colour similar to the paper colour print to hide them :( what do you think...

Take the measurement when folded, with regard to the felt tipped pen I dont think that would be a good idea. If you could post a pic and let us have look at those seams it may be possible to determine the cause.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
Take the measurement when folded, with regard to the felt tipped pen I dont think that would be a good idea. If you could post a pic and let us have look at those seams it may be possible to determine the cause.

Dec.
l'll take some photos and put them on tomorrow Thedec....

You could try mixing the correct colour with kiddies paint set & touch up the edges, its help me get over that problem a few times

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back