Wallpapering Rendered Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have just had my chimney breast skimmed, but here were a few sections on the chimney breast which were a little damp, where old gas lamps had been apparently and the holes had been filled, but not very well. In these sections the plasterer knocked out the old mortar and did do some rendering, probably water resistant, and then skimmed on top.

I have booked someone to wallpaper the chimney breasts for about 3 weeks after it was plastered. I am aware that people say you have to wait month before wallpapering a rendered wall, but will it be ok given that most of the wall was just skimmed and there only a couple of sections that were rendered. Whats the worst case scenario?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
all walls are different ,,, ur not ment to paper newly plastered walls for months as u said ,,as once the paper is on it my shrink and the edges are seen ,,, but as a painter we have this prob even on a drtlinned wall ,,and if there is any edges seen and the paper is washable ,, u can always run a colour ov emulsion down the edges and clean off rite away ,,, this will fill the gap and hide the edge ,, colour ov paint hear as colour ov paper ,,,goodluck

Thats great. So basically its a bit of a risk, but worse case scenario it will just mean gaps may show between rolls, which if i understand you right can be to an extent remedied by colouring in between the gaps.

The wallpaper is flock so not sure it is washable, but I presume you could just paint the emulsion carefully in the gap with a thin brush - what do you think?

Also, going back to a question i also asked on this forum about painting on top a rendered and skimmed wall only a few weeks after the plastering, what is the worse case scenario in that situation. What problems can it cause? People say to leave it months to breathe, but what will happen if it struggles to breathe?

Thanks for the help by the way.

try on a test piece ov paper ,, the gaps wont be open much ,,im talking a few mm if that ,,, as for other question ,,, should always let the walls dry ,, but again in the trade we at times coat them when damp and usually ok ,,od time the paint will crack ,,but rare ,,,, and if it happens can be fixed but a touch up is usually seen so best to coat the wall if u can

Sponsored Links
What is the desperate hurry?

Just wait until it is thoroughly dry, otherwise the wallpaper will fall off again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back