wallpapering walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i am ok at wallpapering long walls , but the missus wants one wall papering in the bedroom and the rest painted, the wall in question has a large window in it so there is not much to hang, but it looks a bit fiddly and i wanted to know where would be the best possible place to start with thye first sheet, cheers
also the wall has been painted previously will this be a problem with adhesion

Sponsored Links
A decent graphic or video would demonstrate better but I couldn't find one so...

If the window is centred I would start either side of the window with a full strip. If the window reveals are not too deep (more than half the width of your wallpaper) I would mark the line for your first sheet so that when a snip is made at window board and top reveal the paper can be brushed around the side reveal up to the window and trimmed along the window then trimmed under the window board.

Go nice and slow when brushing/smoothing around the reveal into the window making sure to keep your brush hard on the paper as it goes around the edge (to avoid a corner of air).

If the reveals are quite deep mark your first line half to three quarter width of your roll away from the reveal edge, proceed as above, then piece back into the window.

If the window is not centred I would start on the side with the longest (widest) bit of wall.

Depending on the size of your window and paper pattern you may be able to butt join pieces at the top/bottom of the window and continue with a full length the other side, likely having to piece a small strip to complete the reveal.

If there is no pattern you can hang a full sheet on the other side of the window then fit pieces over and under the window allowing them to overlap. Run a very sharp knife in the middle of the overlap. Remove the waste from the top and underneath of the overlap to give a flat joint. You can also do this with a patterned overlap if that makes it easier to get full strips either side of the window.

It might help to first hang a full sheet on the other side of your first line as it can be easier to keep the window sheet plump butting to another sheet than working to a line only.

It can be fiddly and time-consuming so you may not want to paste too far ahead of yourself.

Good luck (if you've not done it already!).

Meant to say - if the paint is sound there shouldn't be any problem papering over it.

A decent graphic or video would demonstrate better but I couldn't find one so...

If the window is centred I would start either side of the window with a full strip. If the window reveals are not too deep (more than half the width of your wallpaper) I would mark the line for your first sheet so that when a snip is made at window board and top reveal the paper can be brushed around the side reveal up to the window and trimmed along the window then trimmed under the window board.

Go nice and slow when brushing/smoothing around the reveal into the window making sure to keep your brush hard on the paper as it goes around the edge (to avoid a corner of air).

If the reveals are quite deep mark your first line half to three quarter width of your roll away from the reveal edge, proceed as above, then piece back into the window.

If the window is not centred I would start on the side with the longest (widest) bit of wall.

Depending on the size of your window and paper pattern you may be able to butt join pieces at the top/bottom of the window and continue with a full length the other side, likely having to piece a small strip to complete the reveal.

If there is no pattern you can hang a full sheet on the other side of the window then fit pieces over and under the window allowing them to overlap. Run a very sharp knife in the middle of the overlap. Remove the waste from the top and underneath of the overlap to give a flat joint. You can also do this with a patterned overlap if that makes it easier to get full strips either side of the window.

It might help to first hang a full sheet on the other side of your first line as it can be easier to keep the window sheet plump butting to another sheet than working to a line only.

It can be fiddly and time-consuming so you may not want to paste too far ahead of yourself.

Good luck (if you've not done it already!).

Meant to say - if the paint is sound there shouldn't be any problem papering over it.
cheers yes it is a large window, so what i was thinking start at the window rapping round the reveal ,moving across the window till i get a nother full drop and go back to paper corners . if i rap around reveal i will still have to cut small pieces for soffit but do i go over the peice at the top of window or tuck it under , does this make sense

Makes perfect sense, the pieces you describe are known as infills and will need to go under the the top section of wallpaper. Take care to match any pattern otherwise they will stand out like a sore thumb, it would'nt hurt to lightly abrade the walls and size them before you start. Doing so will offer you more slide and greatly assist you with the more difficult areas.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
Makes perfect sense, the pieces you describe are known as infills and will need to go under the the top section of wallpaper. Take care to match any pattern otherwise they will stand out like a sore thumb, it would'nt hurt to lightly abrade the walls and size them before you start. Doing so will offer you more slide and greatly assist you with the more difficult areas.

Dec.
that should not be a problem , the wall in question has been silked up so i should be ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back