wallper paste soaking into wall please help

D

dans0s

hi guys wondering if anyone could help a diyer in need of help here im having a problem with hanging some wallrock fibreliner lining paper, 1200 grade its the paste the wall type stuff and the problem im having is the paste is being absorbed up by the plaster which is very porous. i have tried pasting the paper and the wall apply lots of paste same things happening. so what would you recommend i do? a mate of mine said i need a primer sealer of some kind never heard of such a thing is that correct? also there is some patches of paint on the wall if that matters to what i need to do thank you

Sponsored Links
Your mate is correct; you need to seal bare plaster. You can get emulsion paint designed to go straight onto bare plaster. (Don't use regular vinyl emulsion. I made that mistake once and now it's peeling off. :mad: :mad: :mad: )

Bare plaster or absorbent surfaces should be sealed with size (thinned paste) or mist coated with Contract emulsion (as Space cat suggests). You can use a secific plaster sealer but the two methods mentioned are usually good enough.

Are you using Wallrock Power Adhesive? They do recommend it for all of their products and if I don't use that, I will try to use a ready mixed paste as the Fibreliner itself is pretty absorbent and can soak up standard pastes if they are mot mixed thickly enough. If I use a regular paste like Solvite, I mix it a bit thicker than the recommended ratio for lining paper for this reason. Wallrock Thermal Liner and Sound Insulation should only be used with a very thick layer of Power Adhesive though.

Other than that, I can't think of any other reason why the paper shouldn't adhere unless the underlying plaster is just Bonding plaster. :confused:

Sponsored Links
if you want to apply emulsion, you have to clean off the paste first, to let the paint soak in.

the first coat should be thinned with water and will disappear as it soaks in, the next should lie on the surface. Trade supermatt is considered very good for new plaster as it is porous and allows it to breathe. I don't think it matters what you use on old dry plaster as long as you thin the first one or two coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back