wallplate bricks moving and holes how to fix /w photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property is old vicotiran house in a London borough built in 1889.

The loft has a course of brickwork laid on the wall plates and appear to have been stuck down with lime mortar.

The bricks are moving and the mortar is crumbling and lots of gaps appear everywhere.

It is obvious the mortar was not designed to hold the bricks down onto timber wallplate.

There is no external soffit installed and these bricks could easily fall outside.

Not sure how to secure this and fill gaps.

I am tempted to go over the existing mortar gaps with someting like Bostik Rapid Setting Cement is that a viable option?

Are there such things as straps I can tie bricks to wallplate?

Any advise much appreciated.

Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_143156.jpg
    IMG_20230107_143156.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20230107_142127.jpg
    IMG_20230107_142127.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20230107_142138.jpg
    IMG_20230107_142138.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
BTW, in one area the brick was completey coming away so I installed a new soldier course to close the height and adding some mesh in lieu of a proper soffit which I don't have. Bricks were glued to the wall plate using hybrid polymer Dura+ and these mesh is just friction fit against rafters and the fascia

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_154302.jpg
    IMG_20230107_154302.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230107_163218.jpg
    IMG_20230107_163218.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 55
Not sure I'd bother doing anything, if those bricks have not 'fallen out' since 1889, there's a good chance they won't by 2089.

You don't want to block up what bit of ventilation there is currently, your new soldier course bricks look to be touching the felt, I wouldn't repeat this process for the remaining rafters.

The bricks are infill to block up the gaps, on the whole, it looks dry up there.(y) but the rafter where your soldier course looks a little damp, prod with a nail, is it soft?

Sponsored Links
Not sure I'd bother doing anything, if those bricks have not 'fallen out' since 1889, there's a good chance they won't by 2089.

You don't want to block up what bit of ventilation there is currently, your new soldier course bricks look to be touching the felt, I wouldn't repeat this process for the remaining rafters.

The bricks are infill to block up the gaps, on the whole, it looks dry up there.(y) but the rafter where your soldier course looks a little damp, prod with a nail, is it soft?
Totally agree in regards to ventilation. I'm going to secure the bricks somehow because I am paranoid, it doesnt take much to push them over. And perhaps mesh over the holes to prevent birds and mice from intruding. Many thanks for taking time to respond.

Ah, yes there are telltale signs of a prior leak and rainwater damp course along the the parition wall and nearby rafters it looks like it'd been patched up long before I arrived (2007). The sarking felt is in good nick looks like it was put in around 2004/5.

Last edited:
it doesnt take much to push them over.
Yes, but there won't be anyone in the roof, pushing them over... will there?:giggle:

If it's any consolation, mine are like this.

Mesh is not a bad idea... having removed a large wasps nest from my old house, if you can stop any creature getting in, it's a good idea. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back