Wallplate info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am about to covert a flat roof to a pitched using pre made roof trusses.

Need to install a wall plate is 4x2" a good size? Does it fix to the inner wall, outer wall or mid way?

Given I allready have roof joists (from the flat roof) I was plannting to screw the wall plat down through to the current roof joists, and then some more starapping.

Does this sound OK?

Sponsored Links
Yep, Inner leaf.. might be easier to remove the old flat roof joists and start fresh with new trusses..

Thanks. I had the truss compnay out a few weeks back for a measure up and he said it would be best to leave the current roof beams in and also the BCO said the same.

The truss compnay is out this week to do the final measure up as I have had to cut through the flat roof deck and fix a small peice of wall plate so they can measure off from that and to knock off a couple of hip tiles to get another refence point to get ridge height as it meets the current house hip.

Last question about holding down straps..

I can fix the wall plat down to the current roof joists no problem, but as yet I have not seen if there are holding straps for the current roof or if I will need to fit new ones?

I will not be removing the current ceiling, but there is near 300mm brick from what will be base of new wall plate to to of plaster board.

Is this OK for fixing a holding strap to?

Sponsored Links
Yep, Inner leaf.. might be easier to remove the old flat roof joists and start fresh with new trusses..

Have relooked at it and this is the better option.

Gives me the 35 deg pitch roof, and looks better as well, as the soffits and fascias would have looked odd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back