Walls in Bad Condition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had the decorators point of view I thought I would give this a try.

I live in a 200 year old Georgian flat. Previously rooms have been lined and decorated and the result was not perfect but acceptable to me. Recently had my huge hallway lined and painted but poor result with major imperfections. I spent a week stripping it back to the plaster and in some places the plaster finish was shot. What type of result would I get if the hall was plaster skimmed? Would it still need lining?

Until now I thougth everyone had their walls lined. My ceiling is very bumpy. Should this be skimmed as well? Thanks

Sponsored Links
No the walls would not need to be lined. A profesional plasterer should leave the finished skimmed walls to a standard worthy of just a paint finish. Remember the background for the new plaster must be properly prepared so that it adheres. ie all loose plaster and paper removed, p.v.a glue applied. Plaster is not flexible, so if there is alot of movement(for example if kids are jumping about on the floors above your newly plastered ceiling)dry lining or papering is advised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back