Walls not centred on foundations - ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Now started our build.

Builder by his own admission made a little bit of a mess of digging the trenches (lost his usual digger guy so tried to do himself), and once the digger had gone had to do some remedial work to extend the existing trenches and make sure they were positioned under the proposed walls of our extension, using shovels and hard graft.

Whilst I am now comfortable they are under where the walls are supposed to be, due to the original challenges the extension walls if built to approved dimensions will be off centre to centre of footings, often by quite an amount. Generally there is at least 100mm of clearance on the 'problem sides', but in a small number of places less than this (I know general good practise is 150mm).

The trenches were dug to 1100mm, and are between 600mm and 900mm wide (due to the remedial works). They have been deep filled with I estimate 800mm of concrete.

The ground is clay, which does not yield when pressed with your finger.

I've read elsewhere on here, that offsetting on footings is not necessarily a problem, but wanted to double check ok here as the brickies start on Monday?

Also what is the 'allowable margin of error' when constructing an extension (from a planning perspective), as the 'emergency option' here would be to deliberately shift the wall dimensions so they are better fitting to the trenches we have ended up with? Not an option I really want to go with, but useful to know anyway. I've heard 50mm.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Sponsored Links
According to our SE, for domestic extensions you can build right on the edge without trouble. Our builders already had, so it's lucky that's OK.

Sponsored Links
Yes - but the BCO did not check dimensions, just depth and type of earth. The alterations were made afterwards, but were to same depth.

It was down to me as the customer to point out the dimensions were not correct. Reassuring on their effectiveness as a quality function!

Inspectors rarely check dimensions - there isn't the time.
But as per the others, if the clay is firm, you won't have any problems with an ofset of that amount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back