Want a new gas fire, got a few technical questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Glow-worm 45/2 BBU which is about 8 years old I think. It's serviced every year and I want to keep it as it's reliable. Unfortunately fitted to the front of it is a minging Glow-worm Melody Fire which my wife demands is replaced.

I had British Gas out and the chap said that as it's a GW boiler we could only fit a GW fire to it, but GW don't make any replacement fronts for this boiler ( British Gas didn't say that, I e-mailed them).

So on the off chance I contacted Baxi and asked if one of their fronts could be fitted to our boiler, but they said it couldn't.

So we could fit a new boiler in order to get our new fire but I think it would be a shame to get rid of a perfectly good boiler that we already have.

Also, according to the BG guy we would by law have to fit a condensing boiler. This needs to have a drain and after he had inspected our 3 bed semi he said the only place we could have one fitted was in the kitchen, which would mean we lose cupboard space, something I don't want to do.

So I wondered:

1. Is there some kind of conversion kit that allows non GW fires to be fitted to a boiler like mine?

2. Would it be worth fitting a good looking electric fire instead and using the boiler for water only?

Cheers,

:D

Sponsored Links
Get a heating engineer in to look at the installation. There are instances where conversion from back boiler to proposed condensing boiler, on points, does not have go ahead i.e. you can choose a non condensor. Do a search for more info.

Look at a Chatsworth fire front- one of the best lookers for a back boiler.

Cheers for the reply. I did discuss that with the BG man actually, he showed me a form that showed me how many points we scored (can't remember how many).

Basically he said that the homeowner not wanting to lose a cupboard in the kitchen did not qualify as 'exceptional circumstances'!

In fact, the document he showed me said in as many words that it doesn't matter two figs what the homeowner wants, they have to fit a new boiler in the most cost effective place.

notgottaclueaboutgas said:
Cheers for the reply. I did discuss that with the BG man actually, he showed me a form that showed me how many points we scored (can't remember how many).

Basically he said that the homeowner not wanting to lose a cupboard in the kitchen did not qualify as 'exceptional circumstances'!

In fact, the document he showed me said in as many words that it doesn't matter two figs what the homeowner wants, they have to fit a new boiler in the most cost effective place.

Thats pretty much it, but it don't matter if the installation site is cost effective or not as long as its possible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Olski, I think the problem is that there is nowhere around the house for the water of a condensing boiler to drain into, except the kitchen or a bedroom. If we had it anywhere else the BG guy said we have to have a soakaway installed and that sounds like a lot of hassle to ne honest, drilling a 5" hole through the driveway etc.

Kevplumb, cheers also, that's another idea scuppered then!

Sounds like we're keeping the ugly fire until the boiler dies and then spending a forture then!

What a hassle!

How likely am I to find an engineer that will supply a non-condensing boiler and not say anything? Then I could have it fitted in the airing cupboard or loft and be done with it!

:evil:

New boiler has to be registered with corgi and they issue cert to say that it has been installed correct, then there the manufactures warranty will not be valid if not installed with all the paperwork, also when you sell the house this paperwork will be needed, the only is if you know someone that will predate a quote for before april.

No corgi registered installer will install for you there may be someone out there willing to install but remember to leave a post outside so he can tie his horse up.

Gas work Notification is a condition of registration dreamt up by the “Cash Cow” (Corgi), it is NOT a law of the land. Building Regulations allow for Registered Gas Installers to self certify, the ODPM have no plans to change it.

Corgy cannot legally issue safety certificates saying a boiler or any gas related installation has been installed correctly, and according to the manufacturers instruction and is therefore safe without first checking the installation/appliance/s. The document is therefore worthless, unsafe, and according to Mike Thompson’s statistics could even put lives and property in considerable danger.

The sale of goods act will say that any goods including labour must be fit for the purpose to which it was sold. That includes boilers and the manufacturers cannot overrule the statutory rights of the consumer.

The legislation for the home information pack is not due to become Law until 2007 at least. Until such time as it becomes law, Corgy or anyone else for that matter cannot legally demand notification for inclusion in the HIP. GWN was rejected by the ODPM and is why Corgy had to make it a condition of registration with the threat to strike you off if you didn’t comply.

And if the poster wishes to have a condensing boiler installed in the airing cupboard or loft then he can and any RGI would be pleased to quote for the work.

DJ Cook (thescruff)

There's nothing wrong with putting a condensing boiler in an airing cupd or loft.
The regs do say it's acceptable to do some pretty daft things, like, as far as I'm concerned, putting boilers in a bedroom, or having a lot of flue stretching across a room.

When replacing a back boiler with one in the loft, you can at least use some of the pipes which are usually boxed-in up the side of the chimney breast. An old 28mm gravity feed will do for the gas pipe if clean.

Having said that if you wanted a replacement back boiler there is absolutely no shortage of people who will fit a boiler in contravention of any regs you care to name. It doesn't take much ingenuity to work out how to keep the guarantee working without dropping anyone in the cack. Things may tighten up but it'll all be a farce for a while.

Here's my thoughts on it

HERE is the document that says you cant have a non condenser, but look at item 3 at the bottom which says that you may be able to get a grant from various sources. Worth looking into I would say!

Read this It could be time to think about the carport or conservatory that you wanted to build ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back