Want to make a door bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend wants a door bell that uses a real bell. I was wondering if I could use her adjusting wireless door bell to send an impulse to a solenoid which could then move the bell somehow. The door bell only uses 4.5 though, so that could be a problem in terms of activating the solenoid. On ebay, it's mostly car parts but I did find these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Ledex-Pus...0QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16219QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - they need at least 9v and I'm guessing a greater voltage is needed for a fuller force.

My diagram shows the bell in yellow being pulled by a string in pink/red by a blue solenoid, attached to a green wall. The only problem is that when the bell swings back, it will overtighten then string and apply a force to the solenoid. Maybe the solenoid should push the bell directly, but then it still needs to be so that the bell wont swing back and hit the solenoid.

Will a relay be needed to switch the solenoid on to say, two nine volt batteries? What search terms should I use to find the parts on ebay? This all seemed really simple until I started thinking about it... :/

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You will probably need a chunkier power supply than a couple of PP9 batteries. They will only deliver a few milliamps before the voltage starts dropping off. Something more akin to 'C' or 'D' size cells would probably be more like it.

Most doorbells just drive an internal synthesizer chip, so finding a take off point to power a relay could be problematic. If the doorbell incorporates a striker striking a chime bar, you may be able to replace the chime bar with a microswitch.

Automotive sources of solenoids include central locking systems, old semaphore indicators and starter solenoids.

You could incorporate a coil spring in the link to allow the bell to swing, or mount the bell on a spiral spring.

Have you considered a purely mechanical system linking an external bell pull with cord or wire via .....er...bellcranks?

Then you need a plumber as ancient as me to do the rigging ;) cus plumbers used to rig bells and do glazing too:cool: .......or you could use a door lock servo from a car :idea: run off a 12v. transformer

Sponsored Links
Have you thought of buying the bell. but just using a bit of dowel to be the thingamabobby( :confused: ), connecting the dowel to the string, and drilling it into the wall?

Do you mean a real bell or one like an old bicylcle bell ? I bought and installed a mains operated door bell designed for deaf people which is has a proper ring and is loud enough for me. It doesnt sound like a hand bell though. If you dont want a mechanical solution, RS components could supply everything you would need create a solenoid or stepping motor based solution. You'd probably need a relay and a transformer to get adequate power. Common battery based door bells are pathetic ie not enough power whether wireless or hard wired. I also find the wireless ones don't operate at anything like the range quoted by suppliers, even in the open air.

Me thinks pulleys and string leading to outside where you pull a lever. Energy efficient as you can get

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back