Want to secure internal doors after an armed robbery

As mentioned by others, you can buy more security but it's no life living in a fortress or prison. You could move, and/or determine what made them think it was worth attacking you like that then change anything giving them reason to think attacking you would be worth it. Like others have said, meetings with the crime prevention officer would be the 1st move. He/she could give advice before you decide on a course of action.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

thx for all the replies, I've been off sick past few days, I've made myself sick with morning till night trying to research on all aspects of home security, plus being the festive season, very difficult for anyone to come out do quotes/work.

just to answer a few points that were asked.
The robbery was very much planned. They had studied our timings. They had been sent by someone specifically to target us. They had come specifically for cash and gold, they were not interested in electricals. We are far from rich just decent people who have worked really hard all our lives. I drive an 11year old. There are many more people who are far richer than us who have luxury cars on their drives quite open and visible.

We didn't have any cash at home, when they threatened my wife they would kidnap our 2yr old son, she showed them the gold that we had - which was our wedding gold, items going back generations. We have been living here for 23yrs without any such incident. Our buildings/contents insurance had also expired.

Our perimeter fencing is non-existant to the front though we do have conifer trees lining one side. We did have some conifers to the front - till some hodlum decided to set fire to it a few years back. We do have quite a long drive about 3 car lengths. Now thinking of either wood panel fencing or brick/iron railings along with a gate.

We will definitely be moving, but its going to take time to look for a house etc in the mean time need to make this one secure without it looking like a prison. Could go to extremes with iron railings outside windows/doors etc but not very aesthetic.

I've also been thinking of about some traps. We have a side gate that gives entrance to the side of the house. I'm thinking about installing 2 side gates quite tall say 7ft (with some anti-climb device), the first being open and when armed as the intruder passes the 1st gate and approaches the 2nd gate, some trigger would release the 1st gate and shut behind the intruder, trapping the bugger between the 2 gates, setting of alarms etc. Thus handing the villan on a plate to the police. This also has the benefit of keeping the family safe from the criminal and doesn't allow him to run free around the property and gives the added benefit of not having to confront and deal with him in a physical sense.

Illegal, what if it was a paper boy, postman, leaflet dropper.
You seem to have it known you kept high value goods and not in a safe from the sound of it.
Lapsing insurance with this on site???

Anyway, back to your suggestion it is entrapment. Also anti climb has to be 8 ft off the ground and signs posted about it.

Now imagine you do as you suggest. You sound like you might, you would need very fast gate operators and of they worked would get your head blown off the second you checked to see if it was an intruder or a Fox.

Bad idea.

But don't all euro cylinders protrude enough to get some purchase on them as soon as the handles have been removed?

Correctly fitted handles would need smashing off. Or use the high security type.
Or if a back/side door blank it off and use a single cylinder ( ½ ) and job done.

Sponsored Links
Alarm,

The postman, leaflet droper, paper boy, door to door sales man and others would go to the front of the house and ring the door bell/use letterbox - why would any of these be going straight round to the back of the house? In addition, given that I will be getting front gates/fencing they would have had to climb over these first - so who on earth could we be left with?

I wouldn't necessarily need to go and check in case they did have a gun, I would have cctv that would show me and no doubt if they had gun they would try and blow the locks off to escape which would give us ample warning to move somewhere safe in the house and cctv would serve as evidence of their dangerous nature.

This is still an idea and I will check all the legal ramifications. We are far too soft on criminals, they have it all their way - they abide by no rules yet we have to jump thru rules after rules simply to protect our dear loved ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back