Want to switch out a kitchen faucet

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We moved into the apartment we bought a year ago and after several other projects, we'd like to now set about replacing the infuriating kitchen faucet with one we used to use years ago and weren't able to install where we were renting.

The questions are...
  1. Are kitchen faucets relatively easy to install without being a professional plumber?
  2. Is there any immediate reason a faucet that hasn't been in use for about 6 years would be a problem to run now? Aging, gaskets, etc?
  3. The plastic part that is used to screw up into the bottom side of the faucet that helps fix it to the sink is missing on our old faucet. Are those standard size? Is this something you can go and get in a hardware store?
  4. What tools make this easier, like getting under the sink to unscrew the existing faucet etc?
I don't know if this will help at all but the one we want to put in is this Cooke & Lewis and the one we want to remove is this hansgrohe. I have a pdf manual of the Cooke & Lewis I can share if anyone is interested but I'd primarily like to know if one faucet can just be swapped for the other.

Thank you for any and all help!

Sponsored Links
Kitchen taps are usually straightforward to replace ,and a set of monobloc spanners ( box spanners) are a must in most cases. You will of course need all the relevant parts that enable the tap to be installed . Don't know what plastic part you think is used to screw into the bottom of the tap to secure it to the sink as those parts are usually metal.
Any seals that have been used before, several years ago,are unlikely to be of any use.
Spare parts for taps ,other than valves,are often not available .

Not too sure if they do anything different in Canada and whether fittings and fixture are different than here is the UK. Looking @ the Hansgrohe then it uses 3/8" ends on the flexi pipes, your new tap may be 1/2" so the supply pipes may need altered.

Actually fitting to the sink should be straightforward as they both are removable spouts and those types typically tend to use a large single nut to tighten the tap to the sink. May be a struggle to get it all done if it's tight under the sink though, all depends of how easy access is under there and if you can get tooling onto the large nut.

all depends of how easy access is under there
Here are some shots...
DSC_3895.JPG

DSC_3893.JPG
DSC_3894.JPG

Here's a quick video to help see it all at once. Sorry about it being sideways, I couldn't convert the video to get it to stand upright.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All relatively straightforward. Turn off the water valves and loosen those flexi's (3/8"). The small bolt in the big nut under the tap loosens and that then releases the big nut to be unscrewed. Old tap removed.

new tap should be a reverse with the big hut, may not have a small nut to lock the big nut but that's not an issue. Trouble may be with the new flexi pipes and whether they are 3/8" or 1/2" female ends, if they are the former then fine, if the latter then you'll need 3/8" female to 1/2" male adapters (with either rubber seals or PTFE tape) for the valves. or swap the valves for 1/2" ones.

1693468813485.png

Don't know what plastic part you think is used to screw into the bottom of the tap to secure it to the sink as those parts are usually metal.
From the manual, I'm referring to these parts... 6, 7, and 8. We were convinced we had kept those all these years and they're nowhere to be found.
1694764427311.png

6 - will be sealing washers 7- looks like a spacer/support 8 - is the locking/securing nut.

They are all needed, so if you don't have them then all you can do is go to the manufacturer, if known, and ask if they can supply them. You could try the nut from the old tap and see if that fits, they are sometime the same size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back