WANTED : Damp Proofing Company - London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone recommend a Damp Proofing company in London, I live in Fulham. There seem to be hundreds but anyone with good experience of a specific company please let me know.

I know it can be a bit of a mine field, also any hints or things to avoid would be great. Its a ground floor Edwardian flat with basement.

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
well said - and if it`s the cellar that needs doing . there are even more poncy cellar conversion people in the Smoke ;)

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

I've always been a little skeptical of the damp meter chaps, the video is very interesting. I did have some quotes when I brought the flat and to be fair none of them did mention the 'rising damp'. Yes, I do have a cellar and there is quite obvious damp down there, I have to run a de-humidifier or everything starts moulding. Also the front room by the bay window has lots of damp showing on the inside wall, which eventually starts to form surface mould. I certainly think its an issue.

The previous owner had used rentolkill, which obviously hadn't worked. The also wanted to charge me £70 to transfer the guarantee to my name! Also if I wanted to put in a claim there was a £90 charge that was only refunded if there work was at fault.

How would one go about resolving the issue if its wise to avoid Damp Proofing companies?

Regards

Ben

Sponsored Links
Get an independent surveyor in. Not one who also sells damp proofing.

You will have to pay but it will repay you many times over.

Basement dwellings need at least twice the ventilation of a conventional property , does your have any?

Its a ground floor flat with a cellar area under the front hallway (all of the livable areas are above ground). The front of the house has a 5' high crawl space underneath the remainder of the front of the house (basically the 2 front rooms). This connects to the cellar via a door. The cellar and crawl space are generally damp and certainly smells very damp without the dehimidifier running constantly. The cellar has been painted and a lino floor put in. There are a couple of vented brick leading outside from the crawl space. There is also a boiler in the crawl space. The crawl space has no flooring and I presume is just earth.

I would like to make this area much drier and be able to use more of the space. I have been advised to tank the whole cellar and crawl space. It feels to me that the fact the cellar is damp is probably quite normal for that type of house. If anyone has any experience with this advise is welcome.

After the great posts above I've read a bit more about the 'rising damp' thing. I am wondering if my damp issue in the front rooms is caused by a concrete skirting around the front of the house. I need to check but it might be bridging the damp course. Maybe I can take some snaps and post them here. Any advise for what to look for would be helpful. There is also a concrete path running down the side of the house.

Thanks so much for the help.

Ben

Here are a few images: If anyone can shed any light on if there is a potential cause of the damp it would be great. I'm thinking that the water is getting between the skirting and path.

Side of house, this the wall that's damp. Pretty much from the corner, towards the window. There is an incline towards the gate.

----------------------------------------

There is a drain in the corner which takes the bathroom sink & bath waste. Sure this isn't how your supposed to do things. The bathroom waste pipe will be removed when renovated

---------------------------------------

This is the front bay, with concrete skirting

---------------------------------------

The join was cracked between the concrete path and skirting, I removed a bit and you can see the brick and soil. Is this an issue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back