War or conflict?

Sponsored Links
War - thats what it was to all us squaddies at the time. Always was a war in description.

In my opinion it was a war, British sovereign territory was invaded, we had every right to defend the islands.

Iraq and Afghanistan are conflicts, yet they are described as wars.

Wotan

In my opinion it was a war, British sovereign territory was invaded, we had every right to defend the islands.

Iraq and Afghanistan are conflicts, yet they are described as wars.

Wotan

Weren't they invaded too, and what's the difference between a war and a conflict anyway?

Sponsored Links
So it was a conflict then as war was never declared.

a conflict is a disagreement, cross words... a war is much further down the line where weapons are being used to resolve the conflict !!

A war must be declared - or it's a conflict.

We were justified in the Falklands.
Not justified in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Wotan

I did hear that the reason the Thatcher woman never called it a war until it was over, was that in a "war" there are various international conventions and rules that are (supposed to be) followed, and some countries (possibly including the US) have their own laws forbidding them to become involved or to assist either side or supply weapons without authorisation.

If you get your legs blown off or burnt to death, I don't think it would matter much whether it was a war or a conflict...or just a very heated argument.

America did not want to upset south american friends, so decided to keep out of it.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back