Is a real war winnable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If there was a war say between China and America or Russia and Europe - is such a conflict winnable? Or are wars these days, just technologically advanced nations taking on a rabble (the Talliban)? Funny thing is - they don't seem able to win those either. So is war winnable?

Sponsored Links
battles may be won or lost but wars can rage for ever.

conflict over territory, conflict over politics or conflict over idealism,
the state of any war is decided by the doggedness and determination of the people fighting such a war.

political ambassadors and delegates can only reach a diplomatic solution with dialogue, provided it suits all parties.

the fear of a "Third World War" is so terrifying that no country really wants to go there. the diplomatic community is still very active in prohibiting any large scale conflict.

i suppose it is the view of the larger nations that a few skirmishes in Afghanistan, Iraq and some African territories are enough to keep the warmongers happy and the pockets of the weapons traders full.

the USA would rather crawl up its own ass than be subject to the same embarrassment that was "Vietnam".

In war there are no winners only losers the horrors of war play heavily on all who participate and changes the personality of all involved so much that they are never "normal" again.

by the way joe, i already know that you will have prepared a follow-up post that will rile many people and be vaguely attributed the opening post.

so go on joe - fill yer boots.

Sponsored Links
once a country is "occupied" by a stronger nation then guerrilla war is usually the next stage.

insurgency, attrition, resistance. the language of a never ending war. :rolleyes:

I reckon the next big conflict will be known as " The Conveyor Belt Wars".

If the yanks used the same rules as the enemy are using (ie No Rules)
it would soon be over.

images

:eek:

That reminds me, I need some new sunglasses.

Course there are winners, just think about all them billions that the major arms dealers make and all the back handers.
The main beneficiaries of global conflict will always be the suited guys who sit behind their desks and invent event quicker ways to kill even more people.
War is good for the economy, the greatest period of growth in the american economy was during W11 when they were selling arms to us.
Was it 45 years before we paid them all the so called lend lease money.?
How much money is now being made in Iraq by American companies, it's no accident, it was planned with this in mind.

We could do with a decent one to cull the chavs, druggies and pikies down to more manageable levels.

Sponsored Links
Back