Wardrobe Sliding doors won't stay closed..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. We recently had 3 sliding doors installed from Magnet trade, aluminum framed
http://www.magnettrade.co.uk/joinery/sliding-doors/

The problem is that they keep opening each end by 5-10mm which is really annoying. I thought they would have come with some sort of slow close mechanism or some catch that keeps them shut.

Does anyone know of a slow close or a catch system I could install from elsewhere please?

Cheers
Mark

Sponsored Links
a local joiner, might have to get him back but I was also wanting to see if there was a way of making them "clip" into position or the soft close method.. :(

Sponsored Links
have you checked to see iff its touching at any point off the door
in other words the door and frame aren't parallel at the point off contact when closed ??

They should not be tight to wall but have buffers/stops to prevent damage when striking wall.
Often a thin outer frame is used, this would also hide any slight gap caused by out of plumb walls.

thanks.. I can get it now to stay closed, but I know on built-in sliding door wardrobes they come with a catch/soft close mechanism, is there anything like this for these magnet doors (sure they are Stanley) please. I mailed Magnet, who didn't reply, so big thanks to them!

Never seen sliding doors with catch/soft close mechanism, no possible need for them.

I had this problem too, and resolved it with a small self-adhesive felt pad (the kind you might use to prevent a coaster from scratching a table). This might work for you too.
My doors run on the bottom track, with the top one just there to keep them upright. Each top runner has a pair of rubber wheels which press outwards against the inner vertical surface of the top track.
I just stuck a single felt pad onto that inner vertical surface so that the rubber wheel was just nipping the edge of it when the door was fully closed. This way, for the door to open, the wheel has to roll across the pad. That was enough resistance to stop mine from opening on its own, but without any noticeable effect on deliberate opening.

I just stuck a single felt pad onto that inner vertical surface so that the rubber wheel was just nipping the edge of it when the door was fully closed. This way, for the door to open, the wheel has to roll across the pad. That was enough resistance to stop mine from opening on its own, but without any noticeable effect on deliberate opening.
This was fast, simple and worked a treat, thank-you.

Never seen sliding doors with catch/soft close mechanism, no possible need for them.

I have seen them. I have a customer with 7ft tall mirror doors (MDF backed). They have a piston which slows down the final closing and which marginally increases the force required to open them. Strikes me as being very sensible- you don't want glass doors slamming in to the frames.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back