Warm air heating to combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am going to purchase a house near Croydon which has an old warm air system. i particularly am not very fond of warm air heating. as of now am staying in a similar one rented place which has same WAU and i found it somehow dry and not effective for some rooms and too much effective on some . want to go for a combi boiler that will solve water heating as well as now am using a water cylinder heated up by eletric immersion heaters and hence the electric bills are super high during peak winter. The new property has the same system and i want to get rid of it. its a 3 bed terraced property .so wanted to know what can be the cost to replace the entire warm air heating with a good gas central heating(combi-boiler) and 7 radiators( 3 bed + lounge + dining+ bathroom+ kitchen=7)? can someone please let me know? before refurbishing the property i would then like to change the heating system in to more effective and economical one.
Thanks & Regards
Tua

Sponsored Links
Costs for this type of work are very variable depending on your situation and for this reason many professionals on here have agreed not to discuss them. Your best bet is to get three or four quotes from reputable local installers who can come and look at the job and give you an accurate estimate.

Costs for this type of work are very variable depending on your situation and for this reason many professionals on here have agreed not to discuss them. Your best bet is to get three or four quotes from reputable local installers who can come and look at the job and give you an accurate estimate.

Thanks for your reply i will speak with the local installers but also wanted to know is it better to go ahead with combi-boilers. my personal experience with warm air heating has been high bills but then again its a very old system so which one is more cost effective and realistic
1) upgrading the warm air to a brand new economical system
2) completely changing the heating system to a combi-boiler.

Regards
Tuab

Sponsored Links
Warm air is very effective, and is used extensively in US and Canada.

There is nothing out of date with the idea, and efficiency of the latest condensing warm air systems is superior to a combi at around 94.5%. However, Johnson & Starley's rather antiquated products don't fall into this category.

If you want a price for a radiator installation, get a quote from an installer who can see the job. Without seeing it we can all undercut each other knowing we won't ever have to deliver, so since most installers don't charge for quotes get a couple in rather than get useless info off a forum.

I assume your new property is in either the Park Hill or Forestdale areas?

Warm air is very effective, and is used extensively in US and Canada.

There is nothing out of date with the idea, and efficiency of the latest condensing warm air systems is superior to a combi at around 94.5%. However, Johnson & Starley's rather antiquated products don't fall into this category.

If you want a price for a radiator installation, get a quote from an installer who can see the job. Without seeing it we can all undercut each other knowing we won't ever have to deliver, so since most installers don't charge for quotes get a couple in rather than get useless info off a forum.

I assume your new property is in either the Park Hill or Forestdale areas?

Thanks for your reply. i will definitely speak with the installers. yes the property i am talking abt is arnd park hill .

Assuming you decide to make the switch to water-filled radiators, do you actually want a combi? You could always keep a hot water cylinder, also heated by the same boiler. Whichever works for you really. I just mention it in case you weren't aware of all your options.

London is expensive. I'd guess three thousand or more. Someone might quote you less, but don't be surprised if it is a lot more. Exact amount depends on the details of the job, plus which side of bed the guy got out of that day :) Or go with Penfold's value quote, but don't pay him until after you've seen the system working :eek:

Mostt of the properties with warm air are not conventional construction which makes rads much more expensive to install.

If you had cavity walls and wooden suspended floors with take upable boards than about £3-£5k.

But most of the properties I have seen with WAU have concrete floors and many have whole wall glass windows making all pipework need to be surface mounted on the walls. That can make a conversion about £4-7k.

There is also a bit of builder/decorators work to remove/close off or cover the old ducts.

Many have asbestos in the installation as well just to add to the problems for a conscientious installer.

Tony

I have done a number of quotes for the very same thing in this area, and a decent installation will cost you a fair bundle.
I doubt very much that you will get a single quote under 3£k and if you can afford quality, it will be a lot more than that.
It's not just the size or the conversion, the way these houses are built makes it a long, hard job if you want to do it right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back