Warm Air Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hopefully someone can help me!

I have been to view a property today that I am considering purchasing. One of the things I found was that the property has warm air heating by a johnson and starley JB25-30. Unfortunatly this unit was mounted on the landing upstairs and is quite unsightly! Is it possible to move the unit or put it in the loft above? or if not can it be boxed in? I noticed that the unit has vents on the front so im not sure if it can. The second question is ... what do you guys think of this type of heating? would you recomend ripping it out and having central heating installed? If so what would a rough costing be for that on a 3 bed detached property?

Thank you for your help

Bobby

Sponsored Links
okey dokey....

So now the big qestion is... How much would CH cost to have installed? probably 8 rads maybe 10 would be enough.

I would keep it. I've lived in two houses which have it and they're good. Good even temperatures and quick to warm up compared to rads. Considering the expense, it would be cheaper to box in the unit (leaving a bit for a grill for venting) and have it cleaned out. The only downsides with warm air heating is the noise from the fan (if it's old) and that the air is sometimes dryer, and the problem of getting spares. Normal Corgi people can service them. They can help with asthma problems though (so long as the air filters are up to scratch) since they are forcing air round the house and trapping the dust in the process. That's my personal opinion. ;)

Sponsored Links
It depends. First where are the "registers" - the air outlets. If they'e all in the middle of the house (cheaper to install) then you'll have horrible draughts from cold windows going across the floor. Have lived with one like that.
Not every corgi does warm air by any means, and its going to get worse. I got warm air qualification 5 years ago but still don't have enough experience of them to qualify me to do the training for them now!

Only SOME of them have facilities for good filters - older ones don't. Check where the flue goes - if it's a conventional chimney type flue then it'll be taking combustion air frm the middle of the house. Not ideal.

Important it's serviced properly and frequently , unless you like carbon monoxide being pumped round the house. They're great for killing tenants in grotty housing where the landlord doesn't care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back