Warm air heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm putting some more insulation into the loft before boarding, however I have the previous run of ducting to remove first (pictures attached).

I've taken a small amount apart to investigate but is there anything to be aware of, e.g. asbestos, any top tips and is the metal worth anything for scrap etc.? (there's probably about 8-10m of the cylindrical pipe then maybe 5-6m of the square)

Also wonder if the last 2 pictures show asbestos flue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I assume the WAU is no longer operational together with any circulator, and it's capped off. With that flue you would otherwise be in a very dangerous situation.

The metalwork can be cut or prised apart, there are a number of different methods of joining sections. We use an SDS drill with a sharpened chisel bit, like a knife through butter.

The round cement flue with contain white asbestos (known as Crysotile) and is relatively harmless compared to the blue or brown types. Good practicve dictates you disassemble the flue into the original consistuent parts by gently manipulating it (or a light hammer tap). Try not to break it up.

Bag up the flue pieces and take it to a council tip that accepts this type of material, not all do.

I suggest you take all normal precautions when handling the material eg face mask, gloves etc but it's getting boring now. :rolleyes:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, the system is not in use. Ducting is all over the loft floor and I imagine was once fed from near where fireplace is (opening appears on ground floor in a cupboard which backs onto fireplace)

Have researched things like asbestos tape and concerned about what the ducting sections are connected with and what it's insulated with - some yellowish wool-type material then wrapped in black plastic - any ideas on what these might be?

Sponsored Links
Duct tape, sticky tape to you and me. The tape round the insulation is just to hold in there and will be PVC or similar.

Asbestos wasn't generally used for the ducts.

However, bear in mind I'm not on site and I'm giving advice based on my regular experience of working on warm air systems. Yours may have some untypical elements.

Scrap value is almost nil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back