Warm baton method for insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain this method for fixing wall insulation?

I can't get my head around a)what the benefit is over IPB fixed to a baton system, and b) how batons can be fixed securely over insulation - the screws would need to be ridiculously long to get through 25mm baton + 50mm insulation + plaster and into the brick behind.

Sponsored Links
Assuming IPB means insulated plasterboard I can't get my head around your layout, surely its battens fixed to wall then IPB fixed to battens or am I missing something here

Assuming IPB means insulated plasterboard I can't get my head around your layout, surely its battens fixed to wall then IPB fixed to battens or am I missing something here
Yes that's the mechanicl fixing method which the likes of celotex advise, but the warm baton method seems to specify that the insulation is fixed to the wall first and then batons over the top of it. Makes no sense though. See previous thread below for an example. Apparently the benefit is that you don't have breaks in the vapour barrier, but if your board isn't long enough you'll have breaks in any scenario.

Sponsored Links
Correct.
And you can't see the masonry you are fixing into.
We're using 260mm long screws (torx head) for a warm.roof these days.
So what are you saying, it's not the best method? Roof fixings are slightly different as it's a lot easier to screw directly into timber

It allows for thicker insulation to be used than could be with insulated plasterboard. PIR is more efficient insulation for a given thickness than the Styrofoam typically on the back of plasterboard.

Avoids voids and interstitial damp on the wall.

It allows for thicker insulation to be used than could be with insulated plasterboard. PIR is more efficient insulation for a given thickness than the Styrofoam typically on the back of plasterboard.

Avoids voids and interstitial damp on the wall.
Why would interstitial damp still not come through ? Surely if moisture reaches the inner leaf it'll condensate based on whether it's hitting a warm surface, regardless of void?

So what are you saying, it's not the best method?
Probably the most efficient method.
You could start by foam fixing the insulation sheets, directly to the masonry.
Then fix a broad (100mm x 25mm) batten top and bottom. Then fix your uprights between.

Last edited:
Why would interstitial damp still not come through ? Surely if moisture reaches the inner leaf it'll condensate based on whether it's hitting a warm surface, regardless of void?
You are confusing penetrating damp, and interstitial damp.

Interstitial damp occurs when there are voids in the structure, so if it is a risk voids should be avoided.

Penetrating damp requires a different solution.

You are confusing penetrating damp, and interstitial damp.

Interstitial damp occurs when there are voids in the structure, so if it is a risk voids should be avoided.

Penetrating damp requires a different solution.
On that, is it worth me cement rendering the outside? It's only a single storey small wall, and will prevent penetrating damp. Or are single skin walls meant to be left bare?

On that, is it worth me cement rendering the outside? It's only a single storey small wall, and will prevent penetrating damp. Or are single skin walls meant to be left bare?
Rendering is a bit extreme unless you actually wanted a render finish. There is the cost and ongoing maintenence - and the risk of cracking even if done well.

You could just as well deal with penetrating moisture by lining the inner face with polythene. This is typically done on garage or out house conversions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back