Warmflow boiler smoking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am at my wits end my warmflow 50/70 whitebird boiler and it has been smoking recently its been services and the jet has been changed i found that the air intake pipe is also the exhaust pipe and the reducer had melted so i thought that the burner was drawing in more air than needed so i blocked up the hole and it ran clean for a few weeks but has been starting to smoke again i checked and the hole is still blocked up is there anything else it may be?

Sponsored Links
Get a oil service engineer to look after the boiler for you.
It is clear from the post you shouldn't be touching the boiler.
You are endangering yourself and your family.

If an air inlet restrictor has melted then that indicates to me that there is probably a serious fault.

For you to fiddle about with combustion aspects makes me worried that you have been acting irresponsibly!

Tony

So thanks for all ur help(not) but i got it sorted it was a baffle that was bent that was impinging on the flame that caused the problem i got a replacement and all is going well now i also changed the high limit stat which was causing the over heating. I am pretty annoyed at all the condescending on this site from some members and want u to know although i dont have oftec i am an electrical and air con engineer and i would be pretty confident i can work on most systems without endangering anyone.

Sponsored Links
In that case Moyniham, you should know the dangers of giving certain informations to DIYers :rolleyes:

So how did this baffle "just get bent" ?

Is that something you did or was it an OFTEC who serviced the boiler?

I realise that but the OP said that it has recently been serviced.

At that time I would have expected to have been removed and cleaned and either replaced or straightened before being refitted.

I dont expect them to seriously distort in a short length of time.

Tony

Think about it the high limit stat was faulty which meant that boiler was at a higher than normal temp for prolonged periods so its possible for this to distort the baffel over a relatively short period of time. As i said the boiler was running for a good month or so after the service but as there was no issue with limit stat before this was not looked at during the service

Baffles distort when the burner overfires. A faulty high limit stat AND control stat is unusual. Normally you would hear the system bubbling and banging before a baffle gets distorted from normal firing.

Ah, good old Warmflow. Purveyors of cheap scrap boilers.

We've got a Warmflow combi oil boiler in the back yard (thoughtfully provided by the developers in our estate). It's junk. Our baffles melted, the mixing valve leaks, the holes the bolts for the sides go in to have spun off, and less said about the retarded electrics in it the better.

They put a frost protection system in the boiler, but it only works when the boiler is powered. Unfortunately that means the hot water circuit is live, so to stop your boiler freezing the thing is running the ot water pump 24/7 and firing the burner every 30 mins to build up the heat in the poorly insulated and tiny hot water tank. All they needed to do was add another terminal in the electrical block wired through the frost stat to the hot water circuit.

There's 200 of these boilers in our development, and according to the guy who services our boiler, he's replaced several already at less than 7 years old - the boiler was rotted through in some cases, or there were so many problems it was cheaper to rip it out and start again. He only does about half the boilers in the estate, but this time of the year he's here pretty much daily at various houses.

The best solution with the Warmflow is sell it for scrap and buy yourself a Grant.

Think about it the high limit stat was faulty which meant that boiler was at a higher than normal temp for prolonged periods so its possible for this to distort the baffel over a relatively short period of time.

As i said the boiler was running for a good month or so after the service but as there was no issue with limit stat before this was not looked at during the service

Its not very clear to me what you mean.

But regardless I would have expected the baffles to have been removed during the recent service.

Even the hi-limit stat was faulty the boiler temp would still be controlled by the main stat.

So I see no reason for the boiler to overheat unless BOTH stats were faulty!

Tony

Think about it the high limit stat was faulty which meant that boiler was at a higher than normal temp for prolonged periods so its possible for this to distort the baffel over a relatively short period of time. As i said the boiler was running for a good month or so after the service but as there was no issue with limit stat before this was not looked at during the service

Sadly we are not mind readers and you didn't state that the high limit stat was faulty on your original post.... What you did say was it had recently been serviced so it would have been fair comment to say that the boiler was in good working order other than your stated problem...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back