Warning: I got sloppy.

Sponsored Links
I still prefer my idea of licking them
Fair enough, but that's only really necessary with ELV!

In passing, I don't recommend trying it (a battery) with your tongue (which comes 'pre-licked') - a distinctly unpleasant experience, albeit as much to do with electrolysis and chemistry as 'electric tingles/shocks'!

Kind Regards, John

No, you wouldn't. You would have felt nothing at all. As you were insulated and not touching anything else, you don't feel anything at all. In the same way that birds can land on 400kv lines and don't even notice it.

I'm certainly not recommending that people go and try it!! But nothing actually happens if you are not making a circuit.

Actually, you'll very rarely find birds sitting on 400kV lines - It's exceedingly painful for them. Corona is a big problem on EHV lines which power distribution companies to go great lengths to minimise by making sure everything has smooth rounded edges. Birds have pointy bits on their anatomy that create very strong electric fields in those areas.

Birds will rarely sit on anything above 132kV lines

Whilst, as this case illustrates, it probably should be the case, I'm far from convinced that even the initial testing of a new installation would involve checking of the polarity at every socket. That certainly had not been the case with PIRs/EICRs I have seen done on existing installations.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for the late response!

I actually insist on it for new installs, even if I've done the work myself. It takes 10mins to plug an mft into every socket in a house and check that you get a reasonable r1+r2.

Next you'll be telling me some people don't do all the tests required for ring finals. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I guarantee you there are people out there taking money by pretending to be electricians who don't even know what the tests are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back