Warning issued over heated blankets as winter freeze hits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1670583057821.png
This is what the electrical safety first says and the news sites are saying
Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service found more than seven in 10 heated blankets failed a fire safety test.
some sites are listing the faults.
  • Because they were over 10 years old and had no safety features built into the controller.
  • Because of a leakage of voltage to the surface of the blanket.
  • The elements were able to move around inside the blanket with the potential to rub together and cause a short circuit.
  • Elements were not secured within the blanket and were exposed to the surface.
  • Power lead fasteners were broken and unable to be secured.
  • The surface of the blanket was worn, exposing the elements.
It seems most say "Your purchase is covered with a 3 year guarantee for added peace of mind and conforms to the UK's highest safety standards, EN standards." or similar, but no BS EN number to say what that standard is. Comments like "The fire service tested 547 electric blankets, of which 188 failed a series of relevant safety checks." does not really help, what I as general public want to see is of those 188 how many were over 3 years old. How many had been washed. And is there a way I can see the dangers. If we don't live in Berkshire are we safe, clearly not, so why is not every county doing these tests.

Maybe the tests were done with funds provided by the gas board to try and stop us using less gas?

Sponsored Links
I am surprised that, having seen a few news articles on TV about keeping warm that the reporters have mentioned using both HWBs and heated blankets but never have they advised users to check and make sure they are not damaged before use.

I think there may be an increase in scaldings or accidents with blankets.

I know on the Falklands when a two nighter was held, the farm managers would run the generators all night, as so many fires had resulted when using candles.

The point is some times simply not safe to try and save. Be it being knocked off ones bike, spilling boiling water, or shocks from electric blankets.

My wife tells me blanket switched off before getting into bed, she likes to get into a warm bed, but not have the room too hot over night, but just had oil delivered, and dread to think what it will cost, but at least I can afford it. And if I really want, I do have an open fire I can use. And loads of wood.

I feel should my wife forget and leave the blanket on, and there was a fault, likely the RCBO will trip and she will be OK. May cost a lot to replace the food in the freezers, but she should be OK. But not all homes have RCD protection.

If the report stated that electric blankets should only be used with RCD protection, then the user can do some thing, we can still buy plug in RCD's, but the report did nothing to advise people how to keep safe, just it seems a way to get people to use more energy on heating.

I feel should my wife forget and leave the blanket on, and there was a fault, likely the RCBO will trip and she will be OK. May cost a lot to replace the food in the freezers, but she should be OK. But not all homes have RCD protection.

If the report stated that electric blankets should only be used with RCD protection, then the user can do some thing, we can still buy plug in RCD's, but the report did nothing to advise people how to keep safe, just it seems a way to get people to use more energy on heating.
Electric blankets are 2 wire devices, no earth. No point in an RCD.

Sponsored Links

I mean, its not like its appliance that could forseeably have basic insulation compromised and if any damage should occur, its not likely to be likely to come into contact with the body of the user of the equipment is it, where you'd much prefer your chances with an RCD provided for addditional protection from direct contact, than without it. Nah... suppose not.

Think you have not understood how a RCD works, it measures out and measures in, if within 30 mA of each other it stays connected, if you are not earthed then holding a line conductor will not harm you, like the birds on the power lines, only if current flows will you be harmed, for example holding radiator and line wire.

Of course our bodies have some capacitance and inductive linking so a line conductor will give one a little shock until whole body at line potential, but if more than 30 mA flows to get your body to that potential the RCD will trip as not balanced.

Being class II will mean likely it will not trip before you touch it, which is the better option, but it will trip if you get a shock over 30 mA so there is a good point in having RCD protection.

I would have expected the comment you have made from some one not trained, but thought you were trained as an electrician?

if you are not earthed then holding a line conductor will not harm you, like the birds on the power lines, only if current flows will you be harmed, for example holding radiator and line wire.
....and that may be Winston's point.
I certainly haven't got any class I appliances in my bedroom*.
The only earthed items are the radiators, and they are well away from the bed.

...I suppose if you have a metal framed bed, up against a radiator, then an RCD may help! :)

*EDIT, thinking about it, I have a ceiling fan, but I think I'm pretty safe with that!

I do understand how they work. Birds on power lines similar to a person in a bed. No earth nearby to touch. But anyway instructions say to switch off the blanket before getting into bed.

Going back many years :-

The risk of a fire ignited by an arc created where the heating element had snapped was the prime concern,

Electrocution was considered as possible but only if there were two areas where the insulation was damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back